texas road house rolls(recipe added)

WTM

with a little research and experimentation i can honestly say these are pretty close to the real deal. made the honey butter too. lol, my son is on that all meat yoyo diet and called it death in a pan.

F59CFC5D-B9A1-4E08-80EC-5B3BCF82EEB8.jpeg

WTM

9882B3C9-C46F-4097-8CCB-3BD4C6557B29.jpeg

couple of things. gotta use bread flour and you have to scald the milk. ive tried it different ways and with all purpose flour and its not the same as road house rolls. to scald the milk cook it until it steams without boiling or 180 degrees. if uour house is cold rise the dough in a warm oven. i usually turn the oven on for a wee bit and let it get warm and do the dough rising in the oven.

i use instant yeast and a bread machine to mix and need but you can use a stand mixer with a paddle or bread hook and use 1 packet of active yeast proofed in 2 teaspoon of the sugar in the 1/4 cup of warm water for 5 min. if it bubbles its good.

so the steps here will be for a stand mixer.

scald the milk, take off heat and add the butter and honey. the temp needs to come down to about 100-110 degrees. while that does that mix the 1/4 cup warm water, 2 teaspoon of the sugar and i packet active dry yeast. let sit for 5 min or until bubbly.

transfer the milk mixture to the mixing bowl, add the water yeast mixture and the reat of sugar and mix well. add half of the flour and mix well. add the egg and mix well. add the salt to the rest of the flour and add that four 1 cup at a time until the ball doesnt stick to the side of the bowl. let sit for 5 minutes. either use a dough hook for about 5 minutes or knead on a dusted board for 7-10 minutes. when its done it should be slightly tacky and bounce back when you touch it.

round it up and place in an oiled bowl making sure all sides of the ball get a little oil on it. cover with plastic wrap and let rise to double about an hour. punch down dough and roll out on a board to 1/2" thick, then fold over the dough in half and pinch seal the edges. cut in 2" squares and place on slighly oiled pan or cookie sheet(it may take 2 pans) . cover and let rise for another hour or so. bake at 350 for 15 minutes rotating pan 180 degrees half way through.(even browning) top with melted salted butter. it should yield 20-24 rolls.

Latest posts