Please school me on layering

shirtshirt

TNRifleman":mt0ys817 said:
I wear almost exclusively Kuiu clothing for hunting with the exception of some icebreaker merino wool base layers. Even if you do not buy it or wear it, there is a lot of good information on the website below about clothing, layering and materials. I have worn some under armour in the past but honestly, other than the cool logo, it is not much different than the store brand polyester shirt you can buy for 1/3 of the price.

http://www.kuiu.com/

Which Kuiu jacket do you like?

TNRifleman

shirtshirt":2o9iz8ok said:
TNRifleman":2o9iz8ok said:
I wear almost exclusively Kuiu clothing for hunting with the exception of some icebreaker merino wool base layers. Even if you do not buy it or wear it, there is a lot of good information on the website below about clothing, layering and materials. I have worn some under armour in the past but honestly, other than the cool logo, it is not much different than the store brand polyester shirt you can buy for 1/3 of the price.

http://www.kuiu.com/

Which Kuiu jacket do you like?

I really like the zip up and 1/4 zip Pelotons the best. I was not a fan of the Guide jacket for stand hunting but I know it would be great for it's intended purpose of active, sheep hunting. The superdown and Teton Insulated jacket are great insulating layers.

red_top_ridge

Worked in the Russian Far East about 15 years ago, where it was below freezing from October through March. Saw temps consistently from 0 deg F to as low as -40 deg F.

We bought silk thermals for a first layer bottoms, tops, and socks from some Army/Navy Store located in Alaska. They worked well.

DMD

I didnt' have time to read through all the posts on this thread - but, here are my personal basic rules for staying warm:

#1. DO NOT OVER DRESS on the way to your stand and climbing your stand. This includes the boots you wear. The #1 worse enemy in your search to stay warm is getting sweaty. Dress extremely light and carry outer layer(s) with you.

#2. Wearing lots of layers was how we did it in the old days - but, see step #1.

#3. I wear some kind of silky "Under Armour" type stuff for a base layer. It wicks and allows sweat to dry quickly.

#4. In extremely cold weather - I dress light (silky base layer, long sleeve shirt, normal pants, uninsulated or maybe 600 gram insulated boots) and I take an IWOM or something similar put it on in the stand.

#5. On moderately cold days (30-50 degrees) - I dress light, and once in my stand - I wait till I am completely dry - and then slip on some insulated pants and coat. If my feet are cold, I put some boot blankets on over my boots. I actually have a deal that is like a half sleeping bag with shoulder straps. It comes up above my waist. It takes the place of insulated pants and boot blankets. I use it and my coat. If I am still cold after doing this - I put a couple of body warmers down in the "half sleeping bag".

#6. Personally, I don't wear rubber boots. Rubber boots do not breath and cause your feet to sweat. That's a BIG problem. Now, if you have a short walk and are just sitting on the ground or climbing a ladder stand, they are probably fine. But, I usually have a long walk and use a climber. I cannot allow my feet to get sweaty.

This system has allowed me to hunt in some very cold weather. Of course - if it get's bitter cold - 10 degrees or below, I will add a layer or two to this set up. Usually silky as a base layer and some kind of fleece on top of it, followed by the outer layers mentioned above. Again - STAYING DRY TILL YOU GET TO YOUR STAND or DRYING OFF BEFORE you put your outer layer on is Paramount!

I hope this will be some help to you. Happy Hunting!

Grnwing

Cold Cotton: Warm Wool stick to that and the appropriate layers for your activity and you will be surprised the conditions you can be in.

Bgoodman30

If you are coming from old school long johns, going to UA cold gear is going to be night and day. I still wear my coldgear base layer top I bought in college around 16 years ago..Anything I have ever owned UA has held up extremely well. I have the smart wool merino bases but prefer the UA unless its gets really cold like teens and single digits..

Also Kuiu is great, really warm and extremely light weight.

Ridgewalker1

My layering system is all first lite merino wool. When really cold and in a tree stand the sanctuary jacket and bibs come out. Boots are muck woody Max with a nice pair of first lite or smartwool merino socks. You cannot beat first lites merino it's by far the softest out there. It's expensive but will last years. I bit the bullet 3 years ago and made the investment and haven't looked back.