Planer board time

redblood

I thought the same thing till a friend took me out and we killed them! In MS they often suspend over the channel after the spawn. Troll small cranks and they will smash them... Much better than long lining, and you don't lose much gear...
Trolling seems to work best for white crappie. My lakes have black only , and they seem to like structure

Spurhunter

Anything other than holding the rod and feeling the thump takes a lot away from it for me too...
Absolutely. I enjoyed spider rigging so much more than pulling cranks, but still not the same as holding the pole feeling the thump. That's the great thing about Livescope. I can single pole and feel the thump year round.

WTM

Trolling seems to work best for white crappie. My lakes have black only , and they seem to like structure
about one month out of the year it can be productive for blacks. this is when theyll come off the cover and roam suspended over open water feeding and ripening their eggs during pre-spawn.

bluball

So these fish were shallow in creek channels in a lake? Not on structure? Im going friday which is the last warm day before rain and col move in friday night. Last time, i couldnt find fish on deep brush piles- trying to figure out where they went
Use your active target move fast looking.To me I trust my livescope more than what others tell me.My reasoning is I usually don't do good when I ask for info,if I move fast I usually find a pattern.

Spurhunter

Use your active target move fast looking.To me I trust my livescope more than what others tell me.My reasoning is I usually don't do good when I ask for info,if I move fast I usually find a pattern.
Exactly why I'm installing poor man's crappie brakes on my boat this weekend. You need to go fast, but you gotta slow down.

bluball

Exactly why I'm installing poor man's crappie brakes on my boat this weekend. You need to go fast, but you gotta slow down.
I just put a speed controller on mine.What lb motors are you going with.In my opinion most are good with the 30lb motors.We have pit 40lb and 50lb motors on also though.If you have any questions on wiring or hooking them up holler if I can help.

Spurhunter

I just put a speed controller on mine.What lb motors are you going with.In my opinion most are good with the 30lb motors.We have pit 40lb and 50lb motors on also though.If you have any questions on wiring or hooking them up holler if I can help.
Thanks Jamey! I have 2 30lb motors that I use on my pond boat so I am going to try them since I already have them.

bluball

Thanks Jamey! I have 2 30lb motors that I use on my pond boat so I am going to try them since I already have them.
We usually run 10ga to the front,the hot leg.We usually use a 60amp breaker on our 2 trolling motor setup.If you use a th marine dtomp switch don't screw it down tight and it will work better.You gonna use some kind of mounting bracket or try to clamp them on the transom.

Spurhunter

We usually run 10ga to the front,the hot leg.We usually use a 60amp breaker on our 2 trolling motor setup.If you use a th marine dtomp switch don't screw it down tight and it will work better.You gonna use some kind of mounting bracket or try to clamp them on the transom.
I am going to fabricate something that will mount to my jackplate I think. I am not running wires all the way to the bow. I'm using a relay in the back with a momentary wireless remote. It's very simple and cheap. Once I see how I like it I will make it more permanent.

bluball

I am going to fabricate something that will mount to my jackplate I think. I am not running wires all the way to the bow. I'm using a relay in the back with a momentary wireless remote. It's very simple and cheap. Once I see how I like it I will make it more permanent.
You are gonna love it,you will be making it permanent,they are awsome.

Crow Terminator

I've been watching Les Standstipher on TikTok Live doing the open water sniping. I've been amazed at how he does it. I've learned a lot and been picking his brain on the live streams. I gave it a try last week and I've determined my boat absolutely SUCKs for any kind of boat control to do any kind of open water sniping.

redblood

I have found lot of crappie with it while trolling around. But im new to crappie fishing this time of yr. Trying to figure out where they go as weather and water temp change

Spurhunter

I gave it a try last week and I've determined my boat absolutely SUCKs for any kind of boat control to do any kind of open water sniping.
I struggle with boat control in my 19 foot Xpress. It just seems to blow around a lot. I can be fishing around guys in heavy 21 foot Rangers and it looks like they are almost anchored. However, there are guys that can catch them out of anything. My son has a Havoc 1860 duck boat that drafts like 4" of water and he can catch a limit before the sun gets over the treetops. These youngsters are just so good at multitasking and have such good hand-eye-foot-coordination. People tell me all the time "I watched so and so open water sniping on YouTube and it looks incredibly easy. It's like cheating." I tell them to get a boat and go try it. Controlling the boat, keeping the fish on the screen, keeping the jig in front of the fish, all while the wind is trying to blow you sideways is not as easy as the guides and pros on YouTube make it look.

Crow Terminator

My Tracker 190 may as well be a giant sail boat with the tall gunnels and light weight. It don't take but the slightest breeze to move it everywhere. I swear my kayak is easier to keep steady. I've actually not liked it before I even tried the sniping thing. Vertical jigging is one of my favorite ways to fish for em and even with spot lock, it moves so much its aggravation station. I'm actually going Saturday to see what they'll give me towards a trade on a Nitro or Triton fiberglass boat; 17 or 18 footer. I climbed all in and over a 2023 Z17 yesterday and loved it....but don't know how it will do in the water.

Spurhunter

My Tracker 190 may as well be a giant sail boat with the tall gunnels and light weight. It don't take but the slightest breeze to move it everywhere. I swear my kayak is easier to keep steady. I've actually not liked it before I even tried the sniping thing. Vertical jigging is one of my favorite ways to fish for em and even with spot lock, it moves so much its aggravation station. I'm actually going Saturday to see what they'll give me towards a trade on a Nitro or Triton fiberglass boat; 17 or 18 footer. I climbed all in and over a 2023 Z17 yesterday and loved it....but don't know how it will do in the water.
Good luck with the possible trade. I think about going to glass a lot myself. Towing used to be a concern, but now I keep my boat 5 miles from the ramp so that doesn't factor in anymore.

redblood

I struggle with boat control in my 19 foot Xpress. It just seems to blow around a lot. I can be fishing around guys in heavy 21 foot Rangers and it looks like they are almost anchored. However, there are guys that can catch them out of anything. My son has a Havoc 1860 duck boat that drafts like 4" of water and he can catch a limit before the sun gets over the treetops. These youngsters are just so good at multitasking and have such good hand-eye-foot-coordination. People tell me all the time "I watched so and so open water sniping on YouTube and it looks incredibly easy. It's like cheating." I tell them to get a boat and go try it. Controlling the boat, keeping the fish on the screen, keeping the jig in front of the fish, all while the wind is trying to blow you sideways is not as easy as the guides and pros on YouTube make it look.
I know a lot of people that like sniping but its not for me. I like locate deep structiure- sit back 35 ft and cast to them

Latest posts