Planer board time

chimneyman

Finally , that arctic blast couple weeks ago slowed things down for couple weeks but they are finally moving into shallow creeks caught these Thursday in 2-5 ft water
IMG_6037.jpeg

rsimms

If they are that shallow, why do you need planers?
I'll dive in here for my take on that question. The key to trolling for crappie is to move SLOW - 0.6 to 0.9 mph, especially in low water temps. That makes planer boards even MORE essential in shallow water. If not for the boards your jigs would drag bottom moving at those very slow speeds. The boards serve two functions - they keep your jigs from dragging bottom AND they get your lures out away from the boat where crappie are less likely to be spooked by the boat.

Perhaps you are asking the question in the context of casting jigs under floats? That would definitely work as well, but the planers do allow you to get more lures in the water and cover a wider area faster. But granted, it isn't as much fun as single-poling.

CliffordN

I'll dive in here for my take on that question. The key to trolling for crappie is to move SLOW - 0.6 to 0.9 mph, especially in low water temps. That makes planer boards even MORE essential in shallow water. If not for the boards your jigs would drag bottom moving at those very slow speeds. The boards serve two functions - they keep your jigs from dragging bottom AND they get your lures out away from the boat where crappie are less likely to be spooked by the boat.

Perhaps you are asking the question in the context of casting jigs under floats? That would definitely work as well, but the planers do allow you to get more lures in the water and cover a wider area faster. But granted, it isn't as much fun as single-poling.
I have only pulled cranks for crappie using boards. And we do that later in the year when they move out into open water...

redblood

Finally , that arctic blast couple weeks ago slowed things down for couple weeks but they are finally moving into shallow creeks caught these Thursday in 2-5 ft waterView attachment 215007
So these fish were shallow in creek channels in a lake? Not on structure? Im going friday which is the last warm day before rain and col move in friday night. Last time, i couldnt find fish on deep brush piles- trying to figure out where they went

CliffordN

I cant wrap my head around crankbaits for crappie. I know it works but seems unusual for me.
I thought the same thing till a friend took me out and we killed them! In MS they often suspend over the channel after the spawn. Troll small cranks and they will smash them... Much better than long lining, and you don't lose much gear...

CliffordN

So these fish were shallow in creek channels in a lake? Not on structure? Im going friday which is the last warm day before rain and col move in friday night. Last time, i couldnt find fish on deep brush piles- trying to figure out where they went
I'm trying to figure out dragging anything through them in the shallows???? So much easier to just put a jig or a minnow right in their face....

rsimms

Maybe not common, but there are definitely times that crappie will set upon a mud bottom, devoid of structure, often finding crawdads and such. See: https://crappienow.com/MAG/2024/01/31/fishing-prespawn-the-devil-is-in-the-details-by-keith-sutton/

02012024_Sutton_Prespawn_-Photo-002-750x499.jpg

chimneyman

I'm trying to figure out dragging anything through them in the shallows???? So much easier to just put a jig or a minnow right in their face....
They are on shallow mud flats not attaching to cover or structure more or less just roaming around. I used to single pole with a jig and float and we caught a lot of fish that way. But planer boards let you over more ground. True it's not the most exciting way to catch 'em but you can flat out catch your limit in a short time

Spurhunter

I thought the same thing till a friend took me out and we killed them! In MS they often suspend over the channel after the spawn. Troll small cranks and they will smash them... Much better than long lining, and you don't lose much gear...
It's effective, but BORING, in my humble opinion. When you catch a fish he just surfs across the top of the water like an old shoe. No fight at all. Different strokes I guess.

WTM

chimneyman

If you do not mind... what are you using for bait... Jigs I guess? anything specific on the tails?
I use 8 rods double jigs. My favorite is Charlie Brewer sliders but also use crappie magnet , Boneheads. Black or blue with chartruse tail can't be beat but sometimes solid white or pink will work. I very seldom use curly tails but a buddy won't use anything but curly tail.

Sako

I use 8 rods double jigs. My favorite is Charlie Brewer sliders but also use crappie magnet , Boneheads. Black or blue with chartruse tail can't be beat but sometimes solid white or pink will work. I very seldom use curly tails but a buddy won't use anything but curly tail.
Thank you sir... I live on Melton Hill around Oak Ridge... i do enjoy catching fish but I do not eat crappie as I prefer a more firmer fish... I have been wanting to get out and try some trolling for crappie here where I live and appreciate the information.

Latest posts