Places to Stay Near Calderwood Lake?

B.D.

I'm thinking about going up to fish Calderwood Lake next summer. I've never been there and it just looks like an awesome trout fishery, and something quite a bit different from the river trout fishing I've done.

Ideally, I'd like to rent a cabin somewhere in the vicinity and go up there with the family to stay for a few days some time this summer.

The dilemma is that Calderwood seems to be an hour away from anywhere. I figured SURELY there would be a place to stay somewhere nearby, since Calderwood is also close to Chilhowee, and the GSNP, and the "dragon's tail" section of road that is very popular with the bikers. But so far I'm not having any luck finding a place, at least not on the Internet.

Is there any place nice and reasonably priced to stay within, say, a 15 to 25 minute of the put-in at Calderwood?

Also, any tips for the trout fishing up there would be nice too since I've never been.

Thanks,

bd

JSPAL270

pumpkin center camp ground on 129 has cabins but this is still a pretty good drive and there is only one boat ramp on calderwood but if you like you can camp at the boat ramp for free my brother camps there every year in august and swears you will freeze at night if your not prepared

B.D.

I knew there was no development ON Calderwood, but I was at least hoping to find a place to rent within, say a 20 minute drive. It's really pretty desolate up there!

If anyone knows the name of that place on Tapoco Road, let me know - I might try to track it down and call them for more information.

Is the campground strictly tent camping or would it be possible to set up a pop-up camper somewhere around there? I've got a pop-up, though I'm not sure how I'd get both my boat and the camper towed up there at the same time. I don't mind camping in a tent (heck, I've gone on trips where I've slept in the back of my truck more than once), but if I go with the family rather than alone, a camper would definitely be the minimum I could get away with.

bd

stik

B.D. said:
I knew there was no development ON Calderwood, but I was at least hoping to find a place to rent within, say a 20 minute drive. It's really pretty desolate up there!

If anyone knows the name of that place on Tapoco Road, let me know - I might try to track it down and call them for more information.

Is the campground strictly tent camping or would it be possible to set up a pop-up camper somewhere around there? I've got a pop-up, though I'm not sure how I'd get both my boat and the camper towed up there at the same time. I don't mind camping in a tent (heck, I've gone on trips where I've slept in the back of my truck more than once), but if I go with the family rather than alone, a camper would definitely be the minimum I could get away with.

bd

if i remember right, the campground is primitive(no hookups) but there is plenty of room for campers.

B.D.

My wife doesn't go for primitive. :)

I might have to find a time when this can be a solo trip. I wish it was just a couple hours closer.

B.D.

Thanks, Tndrbstr. I'll look into that place.

Wow, I'm not used to fishing places without a hotel or cabin or anything within 30 minutes. Calderwood isn't an easy place to get to!

bd

Hangnail

If you go in the summer, take a lightweight rain jacket over a sweatshirt or you'll freeze. The fog is generally much thicker there in the morning than on any tailwater I've ever seen. It takes a while to burn off too because of the height of the mountains. Lots of bears around there too.

Cy

Been years and years since I've fished up there.

Hangnail is right. You really have to watch the fog on Calderwood. It comes out of nowhere and when it does you can't see the front of your canoe. And there's not much you can do except paddle and paddle and paddle til you find that one ramp. Ask me how I know.

Also, you might want to do some research on the fishing. It's no hotspot. It's very deep even right off the bank and, although at least N.C. does some stocking in there, what trout are there are hard to catch.

Need a NC license to fish the NC side of the lake.

East TN Bowhunter

trout-calderwood-1.jpg
[/img]
You will have to do some researching, but you can catch em!

East TN Bowhunter

I figured you had since you were talking about either having a tn or nc license for the lake. My dad and I have been fishing it for the last 3-4 years, usually almost catching our limit. Lately, we have experimented with different techniques and we believe we have figured em out after this last trip! lol

stik

East TN Bowhunter said:
I figured you had since you were talking about either having a tn or nc license for the lake. My dad and I have been fishing it for the last 3-4 years, usually almost catching our limit. Lately, we have experimented with different techniques and we believe we have figured em out after this last trip! lol

i have always intended to give it a try so i checked on the regs. i just never made it up that far to fish.

Latest posts