Food Plots Picked up some Dunstan Chestnut trees

darn2ten

Anybody else have any of these that are bearing. I've heard some good things about them and all my research has been positive. Picked up four of them. Says they bear nuts in 3-4 years, and bear every year unlike oaks. Things I've read say they'll walk right past white oaks to get to these. Just wondering if anybody has experience with them.

darn2ten

DMAG said:
I have been reading about them and sawtooth oaks. They look awesome man!!!
Those smaller trees beside the chestnuts are sawtooths. I got 8 that I started from acorns that I picked up in central Georgia.

Football Hunter

Yes,Ive had some for about 6 years now,they will bare in 3 to 4 years,but it will be a few to a couple dozen.Will take 10 years or more for them to be a real attractant.

BTW ,mine are tubed,fenced off,no weed or grass competition.Actually this year they didn't do as well as last year,maybe the late frost.

Casey82

Research I've read says deer prefer chestnuts 100-1 over acorns. Great article in Buckmasters magazine about chestnut trees. Should bear in 3-5 years.

darn2ten

Rockhound said:
I want about 5 of those but I can't find them anywhere
The Dunstan's are trademarked and only come from one place, chestnut hill farms. They are a hybrid cross between the original American chestnut and a Chinese chestnut. They do ship to different places like select Walmart's, rural kings, and a couple co-op's. You can go online and order straight from their website, they are shipping for this region the month of Oct.

darn2ten

Mr. Hawk said:
How much were they in sparta
They were 29.97 a piece. Here's the sad part, our Walmart in Fayetteville had them. Some of them were starting to turn a little brown, Walmart thought they were dying and marked them down to 50% off! I talked to the girl from Chestnut Hill and she said that they screwed up, they ship them in refrigerated trucks up here this time of year and that gets their fall dormant stage started. Said it was perfectly normal to be turning and some leaves coming off. Wish I could of caught them for half off, they got gone in a hurry. I notice them one day at about noon, went back at noon two days later and all 50 of them were gone.

plinker22

I have spent all my free time today reading about the Chestnut Hill Outdoors tree farm.

I grew up in Chestnut Hill, TN and love the Chestnut tree. I have many memories of hiking up on the mountain and seeing Chestnut trunk after Chestnut trunk laying on the forest floor. They seemed to never rot. Amazing tree. :) :(

Latest posts