Persimmons?

LanceS4803

I saved about a dozen persimmon seeds from fruit at the farm. Followed internet guidance and they are "aging" in the fridge until Spring with the intent to get them started and eventually plant them on another piece of property.

Considering their growth rate, would I be better off just buying trees that are already 3'-4' tall to get a start? I could use these seeds supplemental plantings.
Anyone have experience growing these? From reading, the Virginia variety (wild?) grow at a rate of 12"-24" a year, and take 10 years to bear fruit.

LanceS4803

I just have a limited area with the right sun exposure for them, so half a dozen will work. I found a place online that sells them.

LanceS4803

Rockhound":11fdk7b9 said:
Unless you collect persimmon seeds from coyote crap, it's more miss than hit on germination

The seeds apparently need to cycled through a cold spell before they can germinate. At the moment they are in a baggie of dirt in the fridge.
I'll still buy my trees, but will play around with the seeds.

RobbyW

TN Whitetail Freak":2npcuppn said:
I'd go with apple over persimmons the wmas I hunt persimmon just rot on the ground

Never hunted apples trees so I can't compare, but my persimmons are get hammered when the fall ripe. There seems to be some that fall before or after they are ripe and those do rot on the ground. But during that ripe window it's a good setup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

treefarmer

Rockhound is right, I've had very limited success with seeds. It's fun so give it a try. I have had success planting Persimmon and Pear seedlings and they seem to thrive on our Tree Farm. Apples trees just die after a few years for me. Consider Southern Crab Apple if you can find them, as they may be lower maintenance. The State nursery is a great source for trees but they have run out of most by now. I planted their sawtooth oak last weekend and have some Southern Crab Apple and Shortleaf pine coming in a few weeks from them - very good price and quality. Remember Persimmons are either male or female, you can't tell the difference and only the female produce fruit.

A/M/G

My experience has been persimmons are hit or miss. Some trees they eat ever one that drops and other trees hundreds on the ground to rot. I have seen deer trails thru the ones laying on the ground to rot. I am talking trees in a 20 acre area. Just like oak trees some get hammered some the acorns rot.

LanceS4803

A/M/G":1o5qyx8f said:
My experience has been persimmons are hit or miss. Some trees they eat ever one that drops and other trees hundreds on the ground to rot. I have seen deer trails thru the ones laying on the ground to rot. I am talking trees in a 20 acre area. Just like oak trees some get hammered some the acorns rot.

Interesting comments on deer and persimmons. In fact, the seeds I picked up came from fruit laying on the ground, rotting.
I'll still try a couple, but the apple, pear and crabapple ideas are going to get more attention.

TNlandowner

Persimmon feedback from NE Carroll County:

1. We machine planted 100 seedling persimmon trees in an old field in 2011. At least 50% died or were killed by deer browsing the leaves. 6 years later: no fruit

2. I hand planted 25 seedlings from the Forestry nursery in 2012. Deer browsing has kept most of these from growing over 6' tall (Lesson: fence what you want to protect)

3. In the 2012 hunting season, I picked a few seeds from coyote scat... washed them and put them in a flower pot in the garage. All the seeds sprouted. I selected the best sprout and allowed my then 4 year old daughter to plant it in the front yard. That little tree has produced an enormous amount of persimmon (lucky it was female) over the last 3 years. My golden retriever loves the fruit!

What all eats the persimmons on my farm? I've got several female fruit producing trees near hunting blinds. I have seen racoon, coyote, red fox, deer, and my golden retriever eating the fruit.

Hurricane Harvey rains and winds came through a few weeks back. One of my 8" diameter female trees blew over into a clover food plot. The tree roots remained in the ground with the tree top only a foot off the ground. I put a deer camera on the tree to see how animals responded. A 1-week camera survey had coyotes and deer taking fruit directly off the tree. Interesting enough: the fruit isn't orange and must still be bitter. Also, as I knew from planting the seedlings without fencing: Deer also have been eating the leaves.

For what it's worth: I also have apple, crabapple, plum, pear, and fig trees. The deer will walk into our mowed 2-acre backyard to eat apples during the middle of the day! I believe their preference here has been: apples, pears, persimmons. Due to the ease of growing, I'll only plant more pear trees for deer in the future. Persimmons seem to naturally spread throughout my farm (courtesy of the critters).

muddyboots

I've been researching this pretty heavily lately. You can buy certain brands from Japan that drop fruit later in the year which in turn should be better for hunting. Most of the nursery that specialize in trees for wildlife really push kiefer pears. Lots of interesting reading.

LanceS4803

The biggest thing I've learned, and not many sites mention, is that only female trees bear fruit. That would have been nice to know before I planted two trees.

Smo

I have pick up seed where they had rotted on the ground.

I put them in the fridge for a day or two.

What I read somewhere unless the seeds had been cycled through a coyote or fox you need to rough up the outer layer of the seed for it to germinate.

I used sandpaper to lightly sand / scratch up the outer shell of the seed.

Then I put them in a 5 gallon bucket with dirt over the Winter months.

I left them sitting out in the yard and come Spring the seeds sprouted and when they were a foot or so tall I transplanted them.

This was a couple of years ago. Most made it and are slowly growing.

I've heard ten years too bear fruit. Never heard that only female trees have fruit but sounds logical.

Latest posts