Persimmons

MickThompson

Yes, persimmon trees have male and female flowers on separate trees. You need to plant several to make sure you have both sexes.

On another note, the bright orange one I tried to eat today wasn't quite ripe yet. Surprise!

TNlandowner

Use gloves and pick up seeds from racoon scat. Store the seeds over the winter in a ziplock bag inside a fridge. Plant them in pots or directly into the ground in the spring.

I have a beautiful 5 year old female tree in my front yard from this process. I placed the seed in a small pot, which the tree quickly outgrew. So I let my daughter (then 3) plant the tree. To my amazement, the now 5 year old tree is nearly 10' tall and loaded with persimmons this year. It must be stealing the fertilizer from my lawn...

eastTN270

I've got several persimmons at my parents' place, but they only seem to put out fruit every 3 or 4 years (not this year). I was on another farm today (about 3 miles down the road) and every persimmon was loaded with fruit. I was wanting to move some to my parents' place.

Climber

Yea, TNLandowners method works and here is how I have done it:

1) pick your seeds from rotten fruit or scat
2) clean and discard any odd looking seeds
3) mix with a few handfuls of moistened peat moss (moist but not wet)
4) put in ziploc and store in fridge for ~3 months (you will need to check periodically for mold)
5) come spring time, plant!

As mentioned, they need a male and female so be sure to plant plenty.

buckaroo

If you aren't getting seeds from scat, take knife and scrape the hull of seed a little. Persimmon have coating that intestine acid takes off and allows moisture to seed

Latest posts