Permethrin?

jlanecr500

A couple of years ago, a friend of mine wanted to try some permethrin. I put enough 36% in a bottle to mix 2 gallons at 5% and taped the lid on with electrical tape. Apparently, he un-taped it to smell of it and put it in a drink holder in his work van. Upon arrival at home, he picked it up and took a big swig of it and swallowed most of the mouthful. He told me a couple of days later that he did it and said it tasted like diesel fuel. I freaked out. He had recently recovered from radiation and chemo for lymphoma and I just knew for sure it would kill him. He is still alive today and getting stronger. I frantically started researching the hazards of human ingestion of permethrin and the following is what I found.

"Myth #1. Permethrin is dangerous
When a child swallows laundry detergent, it should be taken to the hospital right away. In general, chemicals are dangerous to our health and should be handled with great care. Permethrin is the exception to this rule. When you swallow permethrin, your body knows exactly what to do. Warm blooded creatures have an enzyme that breaks down the substance long before it can do any damage. Tests show that permethrin does not even make it to our bladder! Our skin barely absorbs permethrin, and forms a natural protection shield as well. So, no matter how you try to poison someone with your permethrin treated clothing: you will not succeed. Poisoning your friend's cat with permethrin is possible, though. Cats are the only mammals that do not have the enzyme that is needed to break down permethrin. Keep your permethrin treated clothing away from them -that is, the ones you like- and you will be fine."

https://tanatexchemicals.com/blog/insec ... hing-not/#

Uncle Jesse

:lol: :lol: :rotf:
AT Hiker":3xuw69tl said:
00269431a419ca48487c32ebee08875f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Displaced_Vol

jlanecr500":3t0ryyiq said:
A couple of years ago, a friend of mine wanted to try some permethrin. I put enough 36% in a bottle to mix 2 gallons at 5% and taped the lid on with electrical tape. Apparently, he un-taped it to smell of it and put it in a drink holder in his work van. Upon arrival at home, he picked it up and took a big swig of it and swallowed most of the mouthful. He told me a couple of days later that he did it and said it tasted like diesel fuel. I freaked out. He had recently recovered from radiation and chemo for lymphoma and I just knew for sure it would kill him. He is still alive today and getting stronger. I frantically started researching the hazards of human ingestion of permethrin and the following is what I found.

"Myth #1. Permethrin is dangerous
When a child swallows laundry detergent, it should be taken to the hospital right away. In general, chemicals are dangerous to our health and should be handled with great care. Permethrin is the exception to this rule. When you swallow permethrin, your body knows exactly what to do. Warm blooded creatures have an enzyme that breaks down the substance long before it can do any damage. Tests show that permethrin does not even make it to our bladder! Our skin barely absorbs permethrin, and forms a natural protection shield as well. So, no matter how you try to poison someone with your permethrin treated clothing: you will not succeed. Poisoning your friend's cat with permethrin is possible, though. Cats are the only mammals that do not have the enzyme that is needed to break down permethrin. Keep your permethrin treated clothing away from them -that is, the ones you like- and you will be fine."

https://tanatexchemicals.com/blog/insec ... hing-not/#

That is crazy! Had it been me I would have just drove straight to the hospital.
Good info, thanks for sharing!

Hunt 365

Has anyone had any irritation from it? I have sensitive skin, have to use the perfume free detergent and soap etc. I still don't want Lyme disease though

Rakkin6

No it is not bad for your skin. I have sensitive skin also so use all the scent free stuff. I wear a leafy suit so I spray down my leafy suit with permithrin let it dry out. Then I spray down my shirt and pants I am wearing under them along with my boots with Deep Woods Off. You can spray your boots with the permithrin also which I do. I use Sawyers from Academy sports and I probably reapply once or twice per season situation dependent.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Bucket

I always let it dry for a day and you're good. I did spray some of the sawyer's on my skin years ago b/c I mixed up the cans thinking it was Off, and that burned a bit. Mix my own now so it's in a spray bottle. I also mixed up spray bottles a few years ago and sprayed gly weed killer all over my turkey hunting clothes!