Sawyers permethrin aint working anymore...

catman529

bottle of sawyers says it will treat 2 outfits. I used a whole bottle on one outfit, plus boots, seat cushion, and face mask, which didn't use much extra. I've worn the gear several times and only washed once. The clothes were put through a hot dryer - is that the problem? Last couple times in the woods I pulled quite a few ticks off me that had no problem getting past the clothes treated in sawyers.

catman529

it was an all natural detergent made from borax and other things. Doubt it would hurt. I'm thinking of buying the concentrated permethrin and mixing my own solution. just need to know the right ratio to use, and then I can soak my clothes in it and wring them out, instead of just spraying.

catman529

Nobody takes my man card... the bottle said outfits, I was just going by that... There are too many guys around franklin who spend too much on their outfits to worry about me and my hunting clothes :D

WMAn

Cat,

When you say pulled ticks off, are you talking about ticks crawling on you or ticks that had actually embedded in your skin? Even with permethrin, I still find ticks crawling on me while in the field, but I never have ticks make it long enough to bite.

I also always tuck my shirt in and tuck pants into socks or tape pant legs.

Vermin93

Mine is still going strong. Zero ticks and the only mosquito bites I have are a few on my hands from when I had my gloves off. I have washed my "outfit" once this season. I also sprayed my turkey vest with it.

catman529

WMAn said:
Cat,

When you say pulled ticks off, are you talking about ticks crawling on you or ticks that had actually embedded in your skin? Even with permethrin, I still find ticks crawling on me while in the field, but I never have ticks make it long enough to bite.

I also always tuck my shirt in and tuck pants into socks or tape pant legs.
Pulled them off crawling on clothes, crawling on skin, and already having bit me. Have several nasty itching bites because of it - they don't have to be latched on long for the bite to itch for days. I even felt one biting me and pulled him straight off. Can't stand those dirty things...

muddyboots

Swamphunter said:
muddyboots said:
I spray evertime i step out of truck.

Have you read the label? Permethrin is not supposed to be applied while wearing the clothes and it should be allowed to dry before wearing them. As effective as it is when used properly, why take a chance with your health? I hunt some tick infested places and never have a problem.

Yea i read it. Didnt work for me that way.

Knothead

Here's what you need to do:
Go to Tractor Supply and buy you a bottle of this (its like $ 10 or less) and it'll last you for a year or two, depending on how often you are in the woods.
c4326b4c.jpg

Mix 0.5 oz in 1/2 gal water. I mix it in a pump sprayer. Hang your clothes and spray your clothes a day or two before you go afield, and you dont have to worry about ticks or chiggers. Be sure and let it dry before you wear the clothes !! I also spray my boots, and my turkey vest, backpack, etc. I went out this evening in the woods, and when I got back to my truck, there were ticks all over my pants legs and boots, but they were either dead, or barely moving (almost dead).Not a single tick on my body. Thats is some potent stuff.

Andy S.

My hunting bud makes the mix just as Knothead mentioned. It is definitely the most economical approach when it comes to Permethrin, while being just as effective, if not more, depending on your mix ratio.