Permethrin?

Carlos

The information on the bottle says it lasts for up to 2 weeks, even thru several washings.

I reapply it almost every morning though, just to be sure.

Andy S.

I reapply to socks and lower pant legs most every days, but only spray entire outfit one time per hunt (3-4 days) UNLESS I'm in and out of a lot of water, which is rare these days. This has worked well for me.

Rakkin6

Sawyer's lasts for 6 weeks or 6 washes whichever comes first. I only use it on my two leafy suits not on anything I wear that touches my skin. Since I only use it on my suits I usually will do two applications per season and have had no issues. Usually under my leafy suit it is just mossy oak pants and long sleeve shirt or of it is warm a pair of OD Green scrubs. I spray my under layer, head and hands with deep woods off.

Spurhunter

As Stated above, Sawyer's says 6 weeks or 6 washings. Since I hunt a lot I treat my clothes every 3 or 4 weeks. I only treat my pants, shirt, and turkey vest. Since I wear 17" Grange i don't treat my socks, but spray my boots every few hunts. Never, ever find a tick on me. This stuff is stronger than most folks realize, I think. I carry a towel to wipe sweat on my face. Don't want to be tempted to use my sleeve. Other than that I don't worry about skin contact. Sawyer's has been excellent for me for years. I mixed a batch myself last year per Catman's video. It worked just as well, but has a little smell to it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Spurhunter

Btw, I tried this stuff one year when I waited til the last minute and couldn't find Sawyer's. It was very ineffective. Never bought it again.
b3d33ca72355d98a44953db6f04f507c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Rakkin6

Yeah it is safe for skin contact after drying it is just my personal preference, wasn't trying to say it wasn't sorry if I caused confusion.

catman529

You really don't need to apply it every time, that's redundant and a waste of permethrin. The permethrin will stay in your clothes for a good while even if you run it though the wash a few times. The key is to make sure you give it a good soaking the first time. Using a spray bottle you want to spray it down enough that it soaks through the fabric, not just bead up on the surface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Spurhunter

catman529":2nq77bdw said:
You really don't need to apply it every time, that's redundant and a waste of permethrin. The permethrin will stay in your clothes for a good while even if you run it though the wash a few times. The key is to make sure you give it a good soaking the first time. Using a spray bottle you want to spray it down enough that it soaks through the fabric, not just bead up on the surface.

Since I used your instructions in the video and it's so cheap to make, I think I am going to pour some in a bucket and submerge the clothing then hang it up outside for a couple days to dry. Then I know I have 100% coverage.

scn

Spurhunter":1nqha3em said:
catman529":1nqha3em said:

Since I used your instructions in the video and it's so cheap to make, I think I am going to pour some in a bucket and submerge the clothing then hang it up outside for a couple days to dry. Then I know I have 100% coverage.

That is the way I treat my clothing as well. It has worked well for me. I have a layer under the dipped clothing, so not much worry about contact with my skin.

Uncle Jesse

We had a vet out TB testing cattle one day. I was spraying them with Permethrin as they came through for fly control. I told the vet to give them a shot first then I'd spray them so he wouldn't get permethrin on his hands. He laughed and said "there's some things I don't want on my bare skin but I'm not worried at all about permethrin"
I was surprised when he said that

AT Hiker

scn":2annnvib said:
....I think I am going to pour some in a bucket and submerge the clothing then hang it up outside for a couple days to dry. Then I know I have 100% coverage.

That is the way I treat my clothing as well. It has worked well for me...[/quote]

This is the method the Army SF uses and I've used it with success too. I used to have a good source from Uncle Sam on some downright legit stuff. 40% mixed in water, soak cloths, hang dry and never wash unless absolutely necessary.
819e642a23fe83f0fb979e1603e896a1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Displaced_Vol

40% seems awful high, I thought the recipe I had ended up with around 2%? I could be very wrong though.
Haven't sprayed since last turkey season but did catch a tick on my hand Thursday. It's time I reckon.

catman529

Those of y'all worried about skin contact. Permethrin does not absorb well through the skin, and its toxicity to humans is mild. The surfactants are what you should pay attention to - petroleum based sprays are the ones you don't want on your skin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Spurhunter

AT Hiker":1sj4bl80 said:
I used to have a good source from Uncle Sam on some downright legit stuff. 40% mixed in water, soak cloths, hang dry and never wash unless absolutely necessary.

If you want 40% why not mix your own? As far as not washing, I don't see the point. If you mix it yourself it's dirt cheap, but even when I used Sawyer's I would hunt 2 days, wash, then retreat after 4 weeks which is halfway through my season (MS and TN).

AT Hiker

Spurhunter":cpre20q9 said:
AT Hiker":cpre20q9 said:
I used to have a good source from Uncle Sam on some downright legit stuff. 40% mixed in water, soak cloths, hang dry and never wash unless absolutely necessary.

If you want 40% why not mix your own? As far as not washing, I don't see the point. If you mix it yourself it's dirt cheap, but even when I used Sawyer's I would hunt 2 days, wash, then retreat after 4 weeks which is halfway through my season (MS and TN).

Hmm, I did/do. I used to have a source for it that came in 9ml bottles, no oils added. It was packaged specifically for mixing and drenching cloths. Now I use the stuff we put on our cattle.

My washing philosophy has little to do with "washing away the bug repellent", I literally see no point in washing outdoor gear unless absolutely necessary. Granted, I don't wear cotton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts