Over/Under Shotguns??

DaveTN

I don't want to side track the Red Label thread so I'll start a new one. I have never owned an over/under shotgun. I'm not knocking anything or questioning anyone's choices. I'm curious as to why anyone would want an over/under for anything other than a collectible? Fill me in.

Buzzard Breath

2 chokes. January, I jump shoot ducks and hunt squirrels at the same time; bottom barrel = IC, top = IM, Boss 5-shot. April, turkeys; bottom = Mod, top = full. November & January, woodcock & squirrel; bottom = IC, top = full, 7.5 & 6 shot. It's extremely versatile.

I also shoot a Yildiz. So it's whatever the opposite of collectable is called.

REN

If your big into clays they are VERY nice to have vs semis or pumps. My son shoots a lot of trap (so I do with him) and they make it easier to fit them, don't have to pick up spent hulls, and don't have to worry about a spent hull slapping someone else's gun on the trap line.

Don't have to worry about jams or malfunctions either

BigCityBubba

I use them because for me they seem more reliable and I shoot better with them. Even with the same length barrel, they are typically lighter and shorter. I have hunted ducks with pumps and semi-autos in some really nasty stuff like peanut butter mud flats and flooded forests and have had issues with jamming. I don't have those issues with an O/U. It also saves money because I don't take that 3rd hail mary shot.

Displaced_Vol

I think, for hunting purposes, a lot of it is just personal preference or nostalgia. In lots of cases, 2 shots are about all you need to shoot something in range. Lots of times that 3rd shot is just a prayer. Finishing a crippled duck would be a clear exception though.

I've shot a few for fun, couple browinings, a franchi and one of the cheaper ones. I think they are nice to handle and point well.
I don't have one yet but I am eyeing one of the new Franchi O/Us in 16 ga-

I got a new sweet 16 in August and it's still sitting at the Browning Repair facility waiting on a new barrel which may or may not ever get here…I got a couple of cases worth of 16 when I get the gun and nothing to shoot it with still! But I digress…

Tweeter

2 chokes. January, I jump shoot ducks and hunt squirrels at the same time; bottom barrel = IC, top = IM, Boss 5-shot. April, turkeys; bottom = Mod, top = full. November & January, woodcock & squirrel; bottom = IC, top = full, 7.5 & 6 shot. It's extremely versatile.

I have the Yaldiz 28 I quail hunt with

Tweeter

I have 5, 3-12ga, a 20, and a 28, one of my 12 is synthetic and I have duck hunted with it and one of my wood 12, but the others are my upland guns.

Big Chief200

I have a browning Citori in 12 and 20 gage made in in 1980 and two Browning SxS in 12 gage i love to hunt with but the older my eyes get I need more the third shot for insurance.

4Low

When you walk 8-10 miles in a day, the O/U's tend to weight a few lbs less.
If I'm not moving much, the pump and semi auto is coming out

DaveB

Because WE don't need 3 shells to get the job done…..
Knew a guy in Southern Cal, worked for a Mazda dealer, first name Kyle. He could shoot fleas at 60 yards with his guns, nearly all OU's. He had more trophies that USC (he counted). And yep, he did not need 3 shells. He used Gold Medal flour as his shot buffer. He had kegs of gunpowder

OU's swing better, point better, have two chokes as mentioned, are a huge sight easier to clean, you don;t leave your trash all over the place, you don;t smack the guy next to you.

And finally

They are so much more attractive to the eye.

Iglow

I've got 3 yildiz 410, 20 and 12. Best value in a firearm purchase of any kind out there today IMO.

infoman jr.

I know one guy at my gun club who has a couple yildiz guns. He's had several issues, and parts are hard to come by. I'd avoid them if possible if you plan to shoot them with any kind of regularity.

REN

I know one guy at my gun club who has a couple yildiz guns. He's had several issues, and parts are hard to come by. I'd avoid them if possible if you plan to shoot them with any kind of regularity.

I only had experience with 1 of them that my son used for 2 trap seasons. He prob ran though 5k rounds in that gun and never had a hiccup. For the cost I dont think there is a better option out there for what you are getting with it. Its not a browning or beretta for sure but it was a good gun.

I do 100% agree finding parts and especially chokes for them are not very easy to do.

outdoors crazy

I have a tri-star over/under. Like stated above its the opposite of collectible but i dont mind if its scratched a little either. I use it mainly for the gun range a few times a year to shoot sporting clays. Easy to break down and store away also.

Latest posts