Opinions

Simpleman.2

Okay my brother and I are at our lease. I'm up the tree videoing him. We had a buck come in grunting straight on at us and never turned broadside. He got 10 yards from the base of our tree and looked right at us. He took the straight on shot right in the chest where the base of the neck starts. Immediately we knew he was hit and he took off back the direction he came. This isn't a shot we love to take but it was the only presentable shot. I've shot a few deer over the years in this spot and all have been fatal with most dropping or not going far. This one however ran 70 yards before we couldn't see him no more. The only thing I'm worried about is that there will probably be little blood. We're gonna get down and bring our stuff to the truck and give him some time. What's everyone's thoughts on how long to wait?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveB

Re: Opinions

He saw you, his adrenaline was pumping. He will be about 30-50 yards from where you last saw him.

winchester77jj

How downward was the angle? I have taken that shot when I felt it was all I would get. Some were ok decisions and some were bad ones. If it was uphill or about level it tends to not bleed much if at all. If it was downward very much or steeply then you should get blood. But if the shot was centered then you killed him. Just a question of where to find him. Don't give up. Did you make sure if a hit yet?

diggerak

Put a shot like that on a deer couple years ago. Grizztrick broadhead. Blood everywhere. Everytime he would take a breath you could hear blood spraying the leaves

Simpleman.2

winchester77jj":2sh57e5t said:
How downward was the angle? I have taken that shot when I felt it was all I would get. Some were ok decisions and some were bad ones. If it was uphill or about level it tends to not bleed much if at all. If it was downward very much or steeply then you should get blood. But if the shot was centered then you killed him. Just a question of where to find him. Don't give up. Did you make sure if a hit yet?

Just got down found small bits of blood for 200 yrds. It started to pick up some when we decided to back out. We decided to back out and wait till after lunch. The last spot we stopped at was the best blood we had found. It was dark blood though almost like liver. It was more on the steep side. I feel as if the bullet exited out the bottom but I'm not sure.

cbhunter

Simpleman.2":9p1sowbv said:
winchester77jj":9p1sowbv said:

Just got down found small bits of blood for 200 yrds. It started to pick up some when we decided to back out. We decided to back out and wait till after lunch. The last spot we stopped at was the best blood we had found. It was dark blood though almost like liver. It was more on the steep side. I feel as if the bullet exited out the bottom but I'm not sure.

I believe you will find that deer. Ya'll made the right choice by backing out and giving him a few hours. Good luck and keep us posted.

winchester77jj

I agree. You got him but it's better in almost every occasion to give it Time. I bet you weren't far from him but the last thing you wanna see or hear is him jumping up and running off. They can go a long way without bleeding after they lay around and you then jump them up.

Bone Collector

Based on what you are saying, I would think he hit something vital. Most likely lungs and liver. Of course if he has made it 200 yds that sounds more like just liver.

I would think you'll find him close to where you last found blood.

catman529

I would guess you have good blood because of the low exit. When I know a deer is hit in the vitals, and the blood trail is good, I go after it. I've jumped deer that kept dumping blood so I pushed them and caught up to them, it will tire/bleed them out faster and they will die sooner. I would never push a deer if I thought it might be a liver or gut shot. But in the chest like that, go get him

Simpleman.2

Opinions

Well we found him finally. He went probably 500-700yrds. He hit him slightly lower than we thought. Its hard to tell but it's a 10pt. It's my brothers biggest buck to date. Good way to break in the new truck!
bfb4defede90e1d34364135318ff349e.jpg

catman529

Congrats to him! By the way you described the shot, it sounded like you had hit him very low. Glad y'all found him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TDW05

2-Step Enabled

That's awesome lol! That truck has been yours for what 2 days and already put a good one in it lol! Congrats man that's awesome!

Latest posts