Opinions?

30-06 type of guy

I had a great broadside shot at 30 yards. I put it right behind the shoulder but you can't see it in file because of the tree. Blood has bubbles and some of it pretty dark. Deer ran for 476 yard and then blood stopped. I have him an hour before I climbed down. I searched for couple hours then left for a couple more hours and came back with 2 buddies and nothing. I was thinking maybe I clipped part of the lung and liver. Thoughts?

Attachments

• FADAFF01-4A0D-4AD5-B1C0-56D87EA0EFC8.jpeg
    FADAFF01-4A0D-4AD5-B1C0-56D87EA0EFC8.jpeg
    493.9 KB · Views: 146
  • 6476044F-B51A-45D1-9C11-50CD6F6D3413.jpeg
    6476044F-B51A-45D1-9C11-50CD6F6D3413.jpeg
    485 KB · Views: 146
  • 380C01CB-F11F-4F26-A1B9-CEA0D9F11157.jpeg
    380C01CB-F11F-4F26-A1B9-CEA0D9F11157.jpeg
    159.8 KB · Views: 142
  • 555A032A-3D75-4A26-8E74-BEA3C23E11CD.jpeg
    555A032A-3D75-4A26-8E74-BEA3C23E11CD.jpeg
    572.6 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_0056.MOV
    23.1 MB

Ski

Hard to say really. Not often I've seen a blood trail like that not lead to a dead deer, but it has happened. And not only lung blood has bubbles. Muscle hits leave tiny bubbles like that, especially brisket. 476yds is a long way to go if hit fatally. Did you smell the blood? Nothing smells like liver except liver. It's a distinct odor. If it is liver then your deer is likely dead. If not then I doubt he'll die. If it were lungs and fatal, he'd have died already I think. Strange things happen so it's hard to say for sure, but those are my thoughts.

30-06 type of guy

Thanks. I've never smelled liver hit so my buddy smelled it and he thought it smelled kind of like it.he ran maybe 50 yards and then walked out of sight. I hope he's still alive.
Hard to say really. Not often I've seen a blood trail like that not lead to a dead deer, but it has happened. And not only lung blood has bubbles. Muscle hits leave tiny bubbles like that, especially brisket. 476yds is a long way to go if hit fatally. Did you smell the blood? Nothing smells like liver except liver. It's a distinct odor. If it is liver then your deer is likely dead. If not then I doubt he'll die. If it were lungs and fatal, he'd have died already I think. Strange things happen so it's hard to say for sure, but those are my thoughts.

Ski

Thanks. I've never smelled liver hit so my buddy smelled it and he thought it smelled kind of like it.he ran maybe 50 yards and then walked out of sight. I hope he's still alive.

Liver smells exactly like beef liver, if you've ever had mom or granny cook liver & onions. It's an earthy, not quite putrid but kind of mineral type odor. I'm not sure how to describe it any other way because nothing else smells like it. If sticking a 9v battery to the tip of your tongue had a smell, that's what it would be.

hitek7

From that description it sounds like a liver hit but I could be wrong. Does not exactly look like liver blood but hard to tell in pics. Typically a brisket or forward shot they are running more than 50 yards before stopping. My guess is only giving him an hour you were pushing him. I would guess he is within 200 yards of where you stopped looking. But I have been wrong one time before in my life... :)
Where are you located?

DMD

Looks like liver blood to me in the pictures. Also, it's hard to tell in the video, but he looks "hunched" like a liver/stomach shot. I think a pretty good chance you clipped liver and lung. If so, he's dead. Could take 24 hours to die.

clwg97

2-Step Enabled
If he was shot yesterday evening I would go to where your last blood was and then start grid searching. He is there somewhere. If it was this morning I would wait until 4 or 5 and do the same thing. I feel like he is there somewhere. I can't tell you how many times I have followed a blood trail and it just stopped and then I re-followed it to the same spot like 5 or 6 times and then the deer is literally laying 10 feet off to the side of the trail.

Ski

If he was shot yesterday evening I would go to where your last blood was and then start grid searching. He is there somewhere. If it was this morning I would wait until 4 or 5 and do the same thing. I feel like he is there somewhere. I can't tell you how many times I have followed a blood trail and it just stopped and then I re-followed it to the same spot like 5 or 6 times and then the deer is literally laying 10 feet off to the side of the trail.

That ^ 100%

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
That yellow on the vanes makes me think gut and the blood looks like liver. You probably pushed it, it'll die, but if it's liver/gut it will take a while.

Ski

Sorry I'm just getting back. I'm here this morning on stand. He walked by me at 10oclock pushing a doe and sparring with another buck. I can see where I hit him.

That's a heart shot. Only thing I can figure is he was rolling away when he heard the sound, and the broadhead glanced off the rib cage down into the ground. If that arrow passed through the rib cage and out the other side, that deer has no lungs and no heart.

Latest posts