Opening day success!

Bone Collector

I have a pretty good spot on public. Unfortunately I'm not the only one who knows about it. I got set up in the dark. Started breaking light, and I start hearing gobbles. Some sounded jakey, two others sounded like Toms. 6:05…. Dude is walking in on me. With safety in mind I went ahead and called out. He sees me and says "do you care if I sit with you?!?" I was taken aback but I just said no, I'd rather not. He walks back the way he came. Birds stopped gobbling. I call, nothing. I call again nothing. At 6:50 I call and hear what sounds like an hen and then a double gobble at 2-250 yds. I decide I can move about 75 yds his way. I get my stuff go about 40 yds and hear a BOOM! I went ahead and walked about 50 more and the dude knowing the birds were going to use that trail (it's thick in there) set up between me and where he heard the gobbles… then let me call this bird and shot him on his way to me. I just stood there staring at him as he got his bird and left… I go back and decide to leave. I see fresh scratch and call. Bird gobbles back where I was. I go back. He's on private, but I'm confident he'll come. I called on a blue mahoe pot and a slate in wenge pot to sound like different birds. He's gobbling and getting closer. He gets to the line and goes back in woods on private. I wait and decide to leave 30 minutes later. I'm walking back and call from the same spot I struck him earlier. He gobbles. I go back and he gobbles and I know where he is. I move into a bottom and he's in s finger of woods between two fields. I call and he gobbles close. I'm 45 yds inside public and it's thick where I am but he has to come into public and an open area to see where I am. There's an old rock wall with a gap, so I know where he's going if he comes. After 15 minutes I call, he gobbles but I cannot see him. I know he's real close, then I get lucky and see the tail fan go down. At that point I waited for him to come into public. Of course he goes right behind cedars at like 35 yds. He had to take 2-3 steps, but instead he's strutting and takes two half steps. I'm like dude come on. Finally he takes another, but there a leaf in the way in front of my scope. Finally he took a 3rd step and it was his last.

Sorry for the long read. Had to rant a little.

10" beard
15/16" spurs
Probably right at 20 lbs.

Attachments

• C5A79B14-E7E1-46BB-ABE8-CBE8EB1AC4AB.jpeg
    C5A79B14-E7E1-46BB-ABE8-CBE8EB1AC4AB.jpeg
    249.9 KB · Views: 77
  • 53AE1239-27F6-4FDD-9ABA-82849D491B93.jpeg
    53AE1239-27F6-4FDD-9ABA-82849D491B93.jpeg
    319.2 KB · Views: 75

Latest posts