Oops, wasn't even trying to....

backyardtndeer

Needed to check and move a camera I have by a new stand I put in this year and put up a different camera in it's place. Stand and camera are in a bottom. With the rain overnight, the leaves aren't an issue with being quiet. Wind out of the south was also blowing in my face. I took the dog with me, he stayed a little ways in front of me but stopped when I whistled. Anyway, I get about 5 yards from the camera and deer jump to their feet less than 30 yards from me and go in different directions but didn't take off hard. I know two were decent bucks and the third looked to be a small buck, but could have been a doe. I was more concerned with making sure the dog didn't give chase.

I went on and pulled that camera and hung the other in it's place. Walked on to where I wanted to hang the camera I took down and there is one of the bucks that jumped up standing there looking at me maybe 25 yards away. No binoculars, but I had my gun so I pulled it up and put the scope on him. Had an easy neck shot, pretty 8 point just past his ears. I hadn't seen that deer before.

Anyway, today could be a really good day for a stalking. I really wasn't expecting deer to be bedded where they were, they were between my camera and the stand, and also a little surprised that bucks were bedded that close together.

Latest posts