Old Hickory WMA

newhere

Hey all im moving my family to MT Juliet. Ive never hunted before but want to take my 8 year old boy out and learn the ropes together. Ive done a lot of research on wmas near us and it looks like Cheatham and Old Hickory are our best bets for rifle. Im not looking for anyone to give me their spots by any means but does anyone have any tips for rifle deer hunting and if its worth hunting old hickory without a boat? also seperate but if you have any thoughts on squirrel hunting the wma also. thanks in advance all!

DoubleRidge

I've never hunted Old Hickory but there is plenty of ground at Cheatham.... Hopefully others with more experience will check in and comment....starting out squirrel hunting sounds like a good plan....good luck hunting to you and your son! Welcome to TnDeer!

CHRIS WILSON

The majority of Old Hickory is only accessible by boat. The few areas with land access get hunted pretty hard, particularly on the weekends. Best bet is mid/late season hunting after the intial invasion of the orange army has subsided and during the week, Mon -Thursday. If you ever get into archery and/or muzzleloader hunting, you can add Percy Priest to your list for deer. Squirrel hunting is pretty good on Percy Priest.

BigRed1080

Old Hickory walkable areas do get hit hard not just by hunters. Also hit by teenagers going swimming and local neighborhood residents walking dogs. I enjoy old hickory by canoe because I live in Hendersonville and it's just "across the way". Cheatham WMA has more ground than you could ever cover in a dozen seasons. Deer hunting Cheatham is a lot of up and down (hills) you can see deer and kill deer, but there are just only certain days can antlered deer be shot and there are restrictions on the antlers except juv hunts. This being said there is also hunts at Cedars of Lebanon state park on certain dates. Don't forget about Yanahli WMA in Maury Co. And Percy Priest. Middle Tennessee has lots of great hunting when you look around.

Madbowh

Call your region office they have a juvenile hunt that is only for juveniles that have never harvested a deer, I think it is only one weekend a year. You camp there they feed you ride you out on a4 wheeler and your young one will get something. I think it is a draw but you'll get pulled for it. I do not remember the name of it or where it is. I do know it is somewhere west of middle Tennessee, about 3-4 hours from crossville. A game wardens told me about it last year while on a juvenile hunt. Sorry I can't remember more details but if you make a couple calls I feel you'll find out all the info pretty quick.

There's plenty of people there that will completely help you all out, the people running it, game wardens and other hunters will be there. I do for sure remember him saying you put in for it at a different time than the usual draw hunts

Buzzard Breath

I'm going to be the odd guy and recommend that you start with squirrels. If you want to keep your kid interested, you'll have more opportunities in a single weekend of squirrel hunting than you'll get in an entire year of deer hunting. There will also be a lot less pressure. It would be a good way for the both of you to practice your hunting skills, you'll get to observe deer and learn more about them for when you're ready to hunt them, and it'll get you prepared on cleaning and cooking a dead animal.

east_tn_gk

I'm glad you've decided to get your young fella into hunting. If you're just getting into it, I would recommend a hunter's safety course, in person and local, not online. A game warden is typically present and most are very helpful, especially when youngsters are part of the equation. They may have insight into hunting pressure and other public areas that may be a better option. I'm not familiar with the areas you mentioned, but that's what I would do. Most WMA's have ample squirrel to have a good time. Best of luck!

Nsghunter

Welcome to TN. I like all the advice above. There are quite a few ticks out there so I always recommend treating your clothes and boots and checking kiddos when they get home. I have never hunted it but I have heard good things about cheatham WMA, maybe in the muzzleloader season. I also recommend putting in for the quota hunts for yourself and your son. You and he can apply together as a party to the adult hunting areas or he can apply by himself to the youth hunts. If you have the sportsman's license its free, if not there is a small fee to apply for. If you aren't interested in hunting this year via the quota system but are interested in hunting it in the future, you can apply for a quota tag to a place called president's island or apply for a preference point only (if Tn is allowing that by then) . You will not get drawn but you will get a preference point for next year. That point will up your chances when you do apply.

here are also two good resources for finding land:

and

Link for Quota application system:

Latest posts