Old Hickory WMA islands hunting

newhere

Hey all. I broke down and bought a kayak big enough to haul me and a deer. Just wondering if anyone has any luck hunting the islands of old hick or if you have better luck at other water accessible areas as opposed to the islands. Going to be hunting rifle in late season. mid dec to the end of the season. Honestly not even looking for bucks, just looking for a few freezer filling does. Any input?

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
I've seen them swimming out to the islands after gun started.They bed up in really thick stuff that's hard to in the traditional style.Team up with someone and do Mini Drives. Drop off a driver on one end and push the deer to the other end. Hunting on the ground you need to be very aware of bullet flight. Boats on the water , cattle, horses, and houses around the banks.

newhere

I've seen them swimming out to the islands after gun started.They bed up in really thick stuff that's hard to in the traditional style.Team up with someone and do Mini Drives. Drop off a driver on one end and push the deer to the other end. Hunting on the ground you need to be very aware of bullet flight. Boats on the water , cattle, horses, and houses around the banks.
Thats some good advice. how far does a bullet travel after passthrough?

CHRIS WILSON

Never hunted any of the islands out on Old Hickory but I've seen quite a few deer on the shore areas. Haven't come across any what I would call mature bucks, mainly does.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
Thats some good advice. how far does a bullet travel after passthrough?
Many variables. Bullet type and load ? Trajectory ?? A mile or Mile and a half ?? A bullet can fall and skip across a lake. A Bow , A Shotgun or M.L. would be the safest option. If you're shooting uphill the fall of a bullet can extend the range. Lot's of Ballistic charts to look up what you are shooting. Resident TnDeer Experts can advise you better than me.

newhere

Many variables. Bullet type and load ? Trajectory ?? A mile or Mile and a half ?? A bullet can fall and skip across a lake. A Bow , A Shotgun or M.L. would be the safest option. If you're shooting uphill the fall of a bullet can extend the range. Lot's of Ballistic charts to look up what you are shooting. Resident TnDeer Experts can advise you better than me.
Thanks this is great info. ill look into just shooting from an elevated area instead of straight or make sure the deers backed again 50 yards of thick trees

newhere

The islands hold quite a few deer, but some of the best spots are the small tracts of public that are up against private on the shore.
The islands hold quite a few deer, but some of the best spots are the small tracts of public that are up against private on the shore.
Thank you so much this was my question. i see tons of strips that are maybe 50 yards or less thick between shore and private. ive never hunted deer before so im trying my best to be safe and legal and also down 1 or 2 this year. ill do some scouting along those. thank you.

TboneD

Me and a friend tried some two man drives on a couple of those skinny islands during muzzleloader season many years ago, which I don't recommend. I pushed at least one doe to him and he never shot. Asked him why, and he said she was "totin' the mail!" First time I'd ever heard the expression but I knew what he meant. 😆

newhere

Me and a friend tried some two man drives on a couple of those skinny islands during muzzleloader season many years ago, which I don't recommend. I pushed at least one doe to him and he never shot. Asked him why, and he said she was "totin' the mail!" First time I'd ever heard the expression but I knew what he meant. 😆
hahahahahah for sure. well i appreciate it. any other advice for the lake if i have a kyack?

TboneD

hahahahahah for sure. well i appreciate it. any other advice for the lake if i have a kyack?
Yes sir. For starters, it's not a bad idea. It's doable for sure, although the hunting will be tougher later in the season after all leaves are down and duck season is open. Be sure that you know where you are in relation to the property lines, realizing that OnX isn't always right. Use enough gun, and I might also be taking high shoulder shots to make your deer is anchored on public ground. The buddy I mentioned shot a doe that year that bolted across a fence and that was that. He didn't want to go to all the trouble of hunting down the landowner.

Be safe in the kayak and you probably know fog can be really bad out on the lake. Good luck with it. Priest is another good option but you probably know you can't shoot a centerfire.

newhere

Yes sir. For starters, it's not a bad idea. It's doable for sure, although the hunting will be tougher later in the season after all leaves are down and duck season is open. Be sure that you know where you are in relation to the property lines, realizing that OnX isn't always right. Use enough gun, and I might also be taking high shoulder shots to make your deer is anchored on public ground. The buddy I mentioned shot a doe that year that bolted across a fence and that was that. He didn't want to go to all the trouble of hunting down the landowner.

Be safe in the kayak and you probably know fog can be really bad out on the lake. Good luck with it. Priest is another good option but you probably know you can't shoot a centerfire.
Yeah ive been hunting priest for some squirrels just to get out in the woods and get a feel for it. This is my first year hunting so brand new to everything. im getting myself a 6.5 and will make sure placement is right. hoping to not have to trail anything very far if at all. i appreciate it tho ive been skeptical about finding some legit pub land to put my first doe down but i think this is the best bet.

TboneD

Yeah ive been hunting priest for some squirrels just to get out in the woods and get a feel for it. This is my first year hunting so brand new to everything. im getting myself a 6.5 and will make sure placement is right. hoping to not have to trail anything very far if at all. i appreciate it tho ive been skeptical about finding some legit pub land to put my first doe down but i think this is the best bet.
There ya go. Can't think of a better introduction to deer hunting than squirrel hunting. Got to take my nephew for his first hunt last month and he got five that mornin. Feel free to pm if you'd like any more help.

newhere

There ya go. Can't think of a better introduction to deer hunting than squirrel hunting. Got to take my nephew for his first hunt last month and he got five that mornin. Feel free to pm if you'd like any more help.
hey sorry honestly this sound so stupid but i literally cant figure out how to pm you. can you shoot me a message i have a couple questions for you if thats cool

MickThompson

Thank you so much this was my question. i see tons of strips that are maybe 50 yards or less thick between shore and private. ive never hunted deer before so im trying my best to be safe and legal and also down 1 or 2 this year. ill do some scouting along those. thank you.
Keep in mind that you can't hunt within 100 yards of a dwelling

Latest posts