Old Hickory Report 2-18

Buccaneer

Well folks, hit the water after the frost burned off. Launched at Avondale and ran from Bluegrass to the bottom of Cages Bend and back. Current was ripping. Very few floaters of any significance. Water clarity 8-10". Temp was 48 in the main run and found 51 in the back of one pocket with incoming clear water from a creek drain. A beautiful day on the lake.

Now, for the fishing. Threw a June bug Ned rig for awhile, no takers. Went to a red craw crankbait, no takers. Went to a spinner bait in that somewhat clearer water in the 51 degree pocket, zip. Very little bait, what few balls I found were in 10-12' Depth range, probed them with yo-yo rattle trap, no fish with them. Gulls were active on what appeared to be dead or dying shad approx 1.5" in length. Cruised ledges with SI and DI, very little signs of life and would have been tough fishing in that current anyway.

rolltide22

I was supposed to fish a tournament on Old Hickory yesterday, but was cancelled. Thank goodness.

TNReb

rolltide22":3aljhyn8 said:
I was supposed to fish a tournament on Old Hickory yesterday, but was cancelled. Thank goodness.
Ever fish at of the small "tournaments" during the summer? My neighbor bought a bass boat last summer and we found a Monday evening one out of Davis Corner or Lone Branch. There was also a small, much less formal one out of Flippers late Friday night. I think there was a small Tuesday evening one also.. maybe out of Lone Branch.

rolltide22

I recently joined a bass club after not tournament fishing for 20 yrs. Just got burned out on all the hustle and bustle of tournaments. Gonna fish a few with my wife and see how it goes.

Latest posts