Ok I'm excited.

TN Larry

Spot lock is nice and sure that you will like it. However, it is not as beneficial in super shallow water which I think that you fish a lot bluegill fishing. It will hold you, however, trolling motor swirls will be pushed into the shallow area as it turns to keep you in position. Power Poles or some of the other shallow water anchors are where it's at for 8' or less. I put a spot lock trolling motor on my boat last year and just put 10' power poles on it this year. I found both the trolling motor and poles less than a year old at a super discounted price and both have their pros and cons so I have both. I haven't been too many times with the poles but have caught several fish with them so far with them down while the wind has been trying to push me back in a pocket. Just trying to help you spend your money for next year's project. LOL

TRIGGER

Minn Kota Terrova with i pilot and spot lock.
In my experience the terrova foot pedal was impossible to get used to 100% because it's all electronic. When you turn the pedal always returns to the same place so if you take your foot off then put it back on the pedal is always in the same place so you don't know what way it's turned without looking at it. It's a solid trolling motor besides that. You will love it. I sure hope they have added the spot lock function to the pedal. The one I had didn't have it on the pedal so I had to keep up with the remote at all times. Again if you have never had spot lock you are about to cross the line of no return.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
In my experience the terrova foot pedal was impossible to get used to 100% because it's all electronic. When you turn the pedal always returns to the same place so if you take your foot off then put it back on the pedal is always in the same place so you don't know what way it's turned without looking at it. It's a solid trolling motor besides that. You will love it. I sure hope they have added the spot lock function to the pedal. The one I had didn't have it on the pedal so I had to keep up with the remote at all times. Again if you have never had spot lock you are about to cross the line of no return.
Unless the battery dies in my remote and I can't get cell service to operate it with my phone, I will NEVER use the foot pedal.
I thought I would get used to the one that came on my boat but no.
HATE that thing.
Rather have a tiller.

rsimms

One piece of info... in my experience Spot Lock always works best when it has something to "work against." In other words, mine will actually hold the boat most stable in one spot if there is some current or wind for it to work against.

In calm slack water, it has a tendency to "drift" off spot, then sometimes over-correct to return to position. For instance, I really can't use it shooting docks for crappie (if I don't have some wind). I can do better continuing to operate it manually.

That said, my Minn Kota Terrova i-Pilot is 10-years old. I've heard they have refined the newer models so the spot-lock is far more dependable under all conditions. I hope that's the case. Even in spite of the minor issue I have with it calm conditions, it has changed my life!

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
One piece of info... in my experience Spot Lock always works best when it has something to "work against." In other words, mine will actually hold the boat most stable in one spot if there is some current or wind for it to work against.

In calm slack water, it has a tendency to "drift" of spot, then sometimes over-correct to return to position. For instance, I really can't use it shooting docks for crappie (if I don't have some wind). I can do better continuing to operate it manually.

That said, my Minn Kota Terrova i-Pilot is 10-years old. I've heard they have refined the newer models so the spot-lock is far more dependable under all conditions. I hope that's the case. Even in spite of the minor issue I have with it calm conditions, it has changed my life!
Yep, I really am looking forward to using it.
That coupled with the livescope is gonna be real bad for the fishies.

Latest posts