Oak tree damage

TNlandowner

The loggers damaged a few of my white oak trees while dragging logs out of the woods. The damage is located mainly near the ground with bark rubbed off an area from 5 - 12" (along one side).

Will these trees die? If not, should I expect poor acorn crops over the next few years while they heal?

BSK

They are generally the first trees to fall to a disease. In addition, their timber value is reduced.

But most "skinned" trees survive.

BSK

I've seen timbering contracts that clearly state that if a tree is damaged by dragging operations, the logger pays full log value for the tree.

pass-thru

In my experience, young healthy oaks will heal up from a catface, and soft woods like poplar will rott out and eventually die or blow down, although it may take 20 years.

pass-thru

tar or paint.....neither of them are going to do anything to help the tree. If the tree will heal, it will heal on it's own. If it doesn't it will die.

BSK

pass-thru said:
tar or paint.....neither of them are going to do anything to help the tree. If the tree will heal, it will heal on it's own. If it doesn't it will die.

Yup. Most live, but those trees do have the highest odds of rot and other problems.

RiverRat213

Let it go natural. As long as the tree isn't rubbed all the way around the tree to the vascular cambium area the tree will be fine. Will cause a nasty scar but will not kill it. O and BTW save ya tar and spray paint it will not stop disease if it wants in your tree.

TNlandowner

RiverRat213 said:
Let it go natural. As long as the tree isn't rubbed all the way around the tree to the vascular cambium area the tree will be fine. Will cause a nasty scar but will not kill it. O and BTW save ya tar and spray paint it will not stop disease if it wants in your tree.

Thanks for all the suggestions & comments. I'll see what happens naturally.

backroads

When the state guy came out and walked my land with me to give me some ideas for land management his recommendation was to cut the damaged trees (due to logging) down to open the canopy to provide more sunlight to the floor to generate more under growth, and help the surviving oaks.

He said the same things you guys have mentioned. These damaged trees are more susceptible to disease and removing them would provide more benefit than keeping them in the long run.

Latest posts