NWR TURKEY HUNTS

280longshot

Adam Jackson":2f0wh2ng said:
Andy S.":2f0wh2ng said:
My buddy that put in with me got his notification today that he was drawn for Chickasaw NWR, but mine did not come today, only the denial notice from Lower Hatchie. I assume my Chickasaw notice will be delivered in the coming days.

This will be the first time I have ever hunted this particular place. I have mainly hunted Anderson Tully (lower) in Fort Pillow. I know Andy has hunted Chickasaw many moons ago. Can someone help us out with some areas we can start looking?
PM me. I have an area that I hunted with great luck.

Andy S.

Andy S.":rcob1p6q said:
NWS forecasted Cairo, IL reading to be 41.3' this morning, but it is a foot lower at 40.2', which is a good thing (all of that water has to come past us, which could prolong the high water to some degree). This reading suggests there is not as much coming out of the Ohio River basin as the forecasters thought would be, which I hope to be the case.
Forget I said this, the dam* gage reading that "was reported" was in error, imagine that. The water coming out of the OR basin appears to be as forecasted and the CORRECT Cairo reading at 0700hrs was 41.3', as forecasted. I still have hope it will recede before the hunts get here.

Thicketmaster

It don't look good for the youth hunts! They are predicting in Osceola Arkansas which is almost straight across the river from Chickasaw Nwr to flood! Floods at 28 ft and they say it's going to crest on the 21st day of youth hunt at 31 ft! The way I see it all of the refuge will be 3ft underwater! Dont look good for the 1st draw hunt either right now!

SKFOOTER

I hate that for the youth hunt but c'mon Thicket. Have some faith. The 1st draw hunt is 2 weeks later. That river can drop in that period of time if all goes well. I'm counting on it.

Andy S.

At 28' on Memphis gage, there is still some ground exposed to hunt, however, a good portion of the interior roads will be inundated/impassable, thus a boat needed for access. If the rain in the Ohio River basin will calm down (long range forecast looks good TODAY), I suspect the first adult quota hunt will go off without a hitch. The youth hunt looks to be hosed for the most part. My .02

Thicketmaster

I was thinking the 1st draw was the Wednesday after the youth hunt! If it's 2 weeks then those who drew will have a chance? I also thought it was illegal to use a boat to hunt for turkeys in lauderdale county?

SKFOOTER

The first adult draw hunt is April 2-5 (Thursday thru Sunday) so yes it is 2 weeks after the youth hunt. And it is illegal to hunt turkeys from a boat in Lauderdale County but it is not illegal to get to the high ground to hunt them by boat.

Hawk

River at Caruthersville is projected to be 36.5 on March 19. Looking bad. Going to be a big slow falling river this spring.

Andy S.

I just looked at the long range river forecast that I trust the most (NWS 16 day ensemble), and it shows Memphis gage being a 26' on April 2nd at 6AM, which is right below the brink for vehicle access. As others have stated, if vehicle access is a go, the bottom will be one muddy, mucky mess with the water just falling out.

SKFOOTER

Andy S.":1s7sq1q7 said:
I just looked at the long range river forecast that I trust the most (NWS 16 day ensemble), and it shows Memphis gage being a 26' on April 2nd at 6AM, which is right below the brink for vehicle access. As others have stated, if vehicle access is a go, the bottom will be one muddy, mucky mess with the water just falling out.
How do I find that information Andy??

Andy S.

My boss, Chief of Hydraulics Branch here at the US Army Corps, had it on his computer. He works daily with NOAA/NWS and the river forecast center in Slidell, LA. I'll check to see if it is "for internal use only", or something that can be released to the general public.

SKFOOTER

Andy S.":3h8nuq6w said:
My boss, Chief of Hydraulics Branch here at the US Army Corps, had it on his computer. He works daily with NOAA/NWS and the river forecast center in Slidell, LA. I'll check to see if it is "for internal use only", or something that can be released to the general public.
What did you find out Andy??

Andy S.

I have not had a chance to pin him down yet. With that said, I looked and looked on the NWS River forecast page earlier today and cannot find anything that looks like it, thus I am thinking it is an "internal" model that is not published to the public. I'll PM you once I get a firm answer from my boss in the coming days.

SKFOOTER

K. The 28 day Extended Forecast model released this morning shows the river cresting at 32.5 feet on March 23rd and falling to 26.6 feet by March 31st on the Memphis gauge. Of course that's not taking into account any precipitation past tomorrow.

SKFOOTER

Hawk":32zb0tcf said:
River at Caruthersville is projected to be 36.5 on March 19. Looking bad. Going to be a big slow falling river this spring.
It's a foot lower at 35.5 today than they predicted last week so I've still got my fingers crossed for it to down and outta there long before April 1st.

Latest posts