NWR TURKEY HUNTS

SKFOOTER

UpperTully":3vsev5h8 said:
SKFOOTER":3vsev5h8 said:
UpperTully":3vsev5h8 said:
Got drawn for Chickasaw and Lower Hatchie, just waiting to hear back on LBL and Wolf River
Which hunt did you draw at Chickasaw, UpperTully??

First hunt at Lower Hatchie and Second hunt at Chickasaw.
Good luck on your hunts. I have the first hunt on Chickasaw. Sure hope the water stays outta there.

UpperTully

Same to you brother, that river is going to be mighty iffy this year with all that snow up north. Hopefully things will stay cold for a while.

Andy S.

SKFOOTER":osshjwzi said:
Sure hope the water stays outta there.
UpperTully":osshjwzi said:
....that river is going to be mighty iffy this year with all that snow up north.
Today's forecast shows 12' rise at Cairo over the next 5 days. That is a helluva jump in a short amount of time.
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/lmrfc/?n=lmrfc- ... erforecast
Long term shows it falling out by season opener, but I do not put much stock in it beyond 10 days.
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/lmrfc/?n=ms_extended_forecast

Hawk

The river at Caruthersville is at 26.85 and the forecast at 29.7 by March 14. That will put a lot of water on Chickasaw. Hopefully it will recede before the hunts but with the the additional rain forecast who's knows what will happen. Might be a good idea totune up your outboard

Hawk

Latest on flooding:

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MEMPHIS TN HAS ISSUED A * FLOOD ADVISORY FOR THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER AT CARUTHERSVILLE * FROM SATURDAY MARCH 14 UNTIL SUNDAY MARCH 15. * AT 11 AM TUESDAY THE STAGE WAS 27.0 FEET. * FLOOD STAGE IS 32.0 FEET. * FORECAST... THE RIVER WILL RISE TO NEAR 34.0 FEET SATURDAY MARCH 21. * AT 34.0 FEET... IN TENNESSEE, BARR ROAD ALONG THE MIDDLE FORK OF THE FORKED DEER RIVER IS FLOODING NEAR THE BRIDGE AT THE SOUTH END OF WATKINS ROAD. WATER FROM THE NORTH BOTTOM OF LAUDERDALE COUNTY IS NOW FLOWING OVER THE BASIN BOUNDARY INTO THE SOUTH BOTTOMM OF LAUDERDALE COUNTY. IN MISSOURI, LARGE BUSINESS JUST NORTH OF CARUTHERSVILLE IS COVERING UP. MANY FIELDS ADJACENT TO THE INTERSTATE 155 BRIDGE ARE FLOODED.

Andy S.

Forecast keeps climbing, NWS shows 35' crest at C-ville. I suspect it will be exceed that by a foot or more. If the rain in the Ohio River Basin will cease, or at least calm down, hopefully the water will drop out in time for the hunts. Fingers crossed.

SKFOOTER

I noticed that earlier today when I looked at the updated river forecast. If we can get several days with no rain after Friday I'm hoping the water will recede by April 1st. :pray:

Andy S.

For the sake of the turkey population there (and other areas that are prone to flooding), I hope some high ground stays exposed so the turkeys will have somewhere to fly down, scratch, eat and hopefully survive.

Hawk

Andy S.":ohvrtbyy said:
For the sake of the turkey population there (and other areas that are prone to flooding), I hope some high ground stays exposed so the turkeys will have somewhere to fly down, scratch, eat and hopefully survive.

The 2011 flood that came in May just about destroyed the Miss river flood plain flocks. They are just starting to rebound. Cross your fingers and hope that it does happen again this Spring.

UpperTully

Hawk":krfbq97u said:
Andy S.":krfbq97u said:

The 2011 flood that came in May just about destroyed the Miss river flood plain flocks. They are just starting to rebound. Cross your fingers and hope that it does happen again this Spring.

They took a helluva hit in 2011, but have rebounded beautifully. Im hoping this year wont be so hard on the nests.

Andy S.

NWS forecasted Cairo, IL reading to be 41.3' this morning, but it is a foot lower at 40.2', which is a good thing (all of that water has to come past us, which could prolong the high water to some degree). This reading suggests there is not as much coming out of the Ohio River basin as the forecasters thought would be, which I hope to be the case.

Latest posts