Not being able to hear drumming may have cost me!

PalsPal

Was on public land this morning where I thought I heard one gobble Sunday morning.

One was fired up not too far below the road (it keeps going so I knew the likelihood of someone driving in). It wasn't long until another vehicle drove in just as I was leaving the truck. I stopped him to let him know I was going after one in that direction for protection sake.

I knew there was a grass road that ran parallel to the gravel road about 150 yards in and the gobbler was below it not far. There was a stand of pines to my left and I decided to get just inside them where I could see the grass road at about 40 yds. Not a perfect setup but ok I thought. I hadn't called yet when I heard a hen to my right at maybe my 2:00. She got more aggressive so I decided to join in. He was torn up but not budging much. Soon I could tell that she was getting louder, and then all of sudden I see her running in the grass road from my right to left. I called aggressively, and she stopped and look my way, but started walking briskly again toward him.

Then all was quiet. I waited a good 30 minutes hoping he would fire back up. He didn't. I then spotted a tree about 20 steps up that would give me a better view of the grass road and decided to ease toward it. Before standing, I decided to see if I could elicit a gobble, and cutt sharply. Nothing. He had been jumping on cutts earlier, I figured he might have meandered off with her a ways.

I stood .... took 3 slow steps ... "is that a turkey in strut?" ... then a running turkey <fuming>!

I have only heard drumming a handful of times and the conditions must have been perfect. I can only assume that he had been drumming while he was strutting down there slowly working to me, and I hadn't heard it.

Oh well, it was exciting. Not sure what I would have done differently.

DoubleRidge

Ouch....it happens.....been there.....sounds like an exciting hunt though.....and hopefully he hangs around and you can get another chance at him....good luck hunting!

Grouse

For what it's worth I try to force my self to sit 30 minutes longer any time I start getting bright ideas lol killed alot of birds in that span of time. Also it's crazy how some folks can hear the drum and others can't. I listened to two spit and drum as they drifted into range for 20 minutes and when I asked my buddy if he could hear it he said no. I've heard them drumming around the bend of a bench road before and was able to setup and kill

Setterman

Dang, that sucks but happens.

I am very lucky that I can pick up a bird drumming very easily, and always wondered if others couldn't hear the frequency as well or if they didn't focus enough on hearing it. It's a gift for sure and I wouldn't have killed the bird I did Saturday if I couldn't have heard him drumming

huvrman

Had a similar experience this morning. Set up on the side of a ridge expecting an arrival from below. Heard one gobble above and to my right at about 100 yards. I yelped back and heard him again at about 70 yards. Then a hen sounded off behind me and to my left. No sweat, I thought, I'm between them and will close the deal in just a minute. Nope. That hen started towards the gobbler, getting on a logging road above me and almost running to get to him. She stayed in the logging road, which was partially sunken, and all I could see was her head passing me and going over the rise to the gobbler, who now sounded like he was just 50 yards away on the other side of the rise. Well, of course he shut up once she went over the rise and I never heard from him again.

sc8point

Hunting with Grandkids this weekend I realized I can no longer hear a gobble more than about 75 yards. I wonder is there something that works for less than $5000 that the audiologists sell?

Latest posts