Ethical Or Not

Wrangler95

Say you miss a gobbler and he takes wing or starts running off fast,do you shoot at him again knowing that shot will enter his body if you hit him at all,he will surely die if not found.Do you risk this or not?

knightrider

Say you miss a gobbler and he takes wing or starts running off fast,do you shoot at him again knowing that shot will enter his body if you hit him at all,he will surely die if not found.Do you risk this or not?
Personally if its clean miss first shot and he flees im not firing a wounding shot at him, now if i messed up first shot and crippled him im doing everything i can to get another in him!

TheLBLman

I don't take a 2nd shot at a fleeing bird if I believe I've cleanly missed.

But by only taking very high-probability neck/head shots, well within range,
it's been very rare any bird fired at didn't simply die quickly with that 1 shot.

I have however let many birds, well within range, simply walk for no other reason
than I couldn't get a good neck/head shot.

I eat my birds, and don't want any pellets in the breast.
You can only minimize breast pellets by taking only neck/head shots.

But, if I have a bird, believed to be wounded by that 1st shot, but not yet dead,
I will not hesitate to fire again, and again, until his head is on the ground.

I have had birds, go down flapping, then after several seconds, stick their head up, even stand up, even take off flying. If this happens, I assume the bird is gravely wounded, and the ethical thing is to try to end his suffering, even if he has taken flight.

Keep in mind, if a single pellet penetrates the birds gut, the bird is simply going to die, albeit it may be a day or two after you shot him, and you will never recover him. This is just all the more reason to only take extremely high probability, well within range, neck/head shots.

TheLBLman

More times than not, seems to be it's someone's 1st shot that's unethical, rather than a 2nd shot.

Seems I'm always hearing of someone who shot at several birds before bagging one. This is typically a lack of trigger restraint, and multiple poor decisions.

I wouldn't be surprised if most of the turkeys shot at, but unrecovered, don't die within 48 hrs due to one or more pellets that hit the gut. The gut is a larger surface area target than the neck/head, and when it's hit, the bird simply flies or runs, often not appearing to have been hit.

Southern Sportsman

If he's still in range and I'm confident I can kill him (fast walk or running straight away with an unimpeded shot), I'l shoot again. That said, I've been running an o/u for the last several years. If my first shot is with my full-choked barrel, no second shot. But if I happen to miss with my close range barrel (20 and in), the top barrel is there if I need it.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
I wouldn't know what to do if I missed :p

Wait, yes I do…I've missed a few in the last 30 years and sit there dumbfounded until they're gone. If I had my wits about me and it was still in range and on the ground I'd probably take that shot, but not if it were flying. Never have taken a second shot on a turkey, and even with the ones I've missed I can't recall ever having that chance.

Wrangler95

Four years ago I shot one and it was knocked down but got up a running and I fired another round which anchored him but Im like most all of you in not taking a risk on a second shot for fear of him going off an dying!

muddyboots

I did it once. I run an eotech and when I shot first time I guess he was further than I thought or I just missed. Anyway I'd made some awesome moves on my part and my head said no sir. I was in a huge clear cut so no trees and I threw up like a dove and it was just plain as day the circle right ahead of his head. I pulled trigger and he folded just like a dove. Would I do it again? Can't say. I did it once.

Urban_Hunter

Absolutely. How do you know you missed clean? If he ain't flopping, I'm firing. I've had 2 birds take flight that I folded on the second shot. I don't take shots that lead me to believe that I "clean missed".

I've lost exactly 1 bird… the first bird I ever shot at… 20+ years ago. Well… 2 birds… I shot 1 in archery early on and won't be attempting that again.

Latest posts