Norris Dam

C1295

Going to be going on Vacation the week of the forth. Haven't been fishing since my son was born (over 2 years ago) and Looking to catch me some trout that week were can I look up the generating schedule? Also, should I kayak or wade?

7mm08

If you get caught above the weir when the water cuts ON you stand a good chance of dying if you are swept over it. I would put in at Miller's Island and paddle upstream. Fish that and it gives you the best chance to get out safely if they cut the generators on.

TVA has an app you can download as well.

1687262365988.png

TheLBLman

If you get caught above the weir when the water cuts ON you stand a good chance of dying if you are swept over it.
And this is an UNDERSTATEMENT!

In a matter of only a few minutes, the current can increase so fast you cannot paddle against it, and you can be swept over that weir dam more quickly than you can maneuver to shore. It's not just getting to shore that matters, but actually getting out on shore.

Once you go over that weir dam, you just get sucked under, and it's like your body is glued to the bottom of the river. Near impossible to get back up above water. Life jacket does next to nothing.

Methane

Are they making the weir bigger? I remember in college we would canoe down to the weir, then portage around, but it looked like it was about a 3 foot difference from what I recall. I think some idiots rode their canoe right over once

M T Pockets 000

They have done some work on the weir dam and even on the island at the weir dam. I have noticed what looks like manual shut off valves and drainage pipes at the weir. I haven't noticed them before. Plus they are experimenting with the fluctuation and water release. Be careful and if the siren goes off get out of the water ASAP.

JCDEERMAN

And this is an UNDERSTATEMENT!

In a matter of only a few minutes, the current can increase so fast you cannot paddle against it, and you can be swept over that weir dam more quickly than you can maneuver to shore. It's not just getting to shore that matters, but actually getting out on shore.

Once you go over that weir dam, you just get sucked under, and it's like your body is glued to the bottom of the river. Near impossible to get back up above water. Life jacket does next to nothing.
Scary for sure

Setterman

Remind everyone that a drift boat is 6 ft across and flat. You surely haven't gone over it with full generation I hope.
True, and designed perfectly for that type of water. More times than I can count, but I tell people all the time not to do it as it's risky as hell

M T Pockets 000

As I stated in my post TVA is working on the weir dam and the island between the two sections. They are trying to keep the island from eroding. Please check out link

Latest posts