Chickamauga Dam Trip

TN Larry

After seeing many posts here over the years and talking about it for a while, myself, son, and @TNLynn made the trip to Chattanooga. We went down last night, fished for a few hours and then part of the day today. We saw several catfish come over the rail on light tackle including a few over 10 lbs. My son landed the biggest he's ever caught at 28 lbs and over 40 inches. We had to chase it with the boat to keep from getting spooled. It was a pretty awesome day.

We also met one of @rsimms Scenic City guides (Captain Joe) at the ramp when we were putting in. He was a super nice and professional guy. I'd say if you're looking for a cat fishing trip that you should look Scenic City up.

9266018C-B3A2-4FF4-B7C1-12089E830FC4.jpeg
39B51BB0-187B-4C16-933D-635EF46F893E.jpeg
1EB9BD38-7487-4C71-93F7-9505D3DD518E.jpeg
AABBF116-8BC8-40D4-901B-860DD901266A.jpeg

rsimms

Hey @rsimms- What's the best time of year to come fish with you for catfish? If you're after TARP sized ones, does your answer change?
That's a hard question answer. Us SCF catfish guides have been discussing the exact same thing. We USED to always tell folks that May (late April to early June) was absolutely the best time for numbers and quality - the pre-spawn period when fish are eating like crazy. However, the last two or three years April has been decent but May has been VERY disappointing for us. :(

Whereas, this year we've been hammering fish, including TARP's in July. See our "Wall of Fame" - 20 TARP catfish in July alone. Our GUESS is that the spawn came earlier than normal this year (starting perhaps in May). Now in July we've been in the post-spawn and quality fish have been hungry. Of course we also look forward to a big fish bite in late October and early November as well.

Something has definitely changed for us the last two years, but for all we know, it will change back next year. Mother Nature can be very fickle. :mad:

Latest posts