No good wind

megalomaniac

Anyone else have a spot where the wind is always swirling? I have a stand at the base of a long steep hill in a narrow section of a creek bottom. Doesn't matter the wind forecast, it always seems to be swirling.
Lots of those places on my farm. I call it the 'toilet bowl effect'. Wind currents do exactly what water running down the toilet does. Impossible to hunt, don't even try from an open stand. Go higher in elevation (usually 2/3 of the way to the top will fix the toilet bowl effect... but still have to deal with prevailing winds, backcurrent eddy winds, and thermals)

WilcoKen

Me. I hunt the south side of a big hill. By aerial photo, a north wind "should" be perfect for my set ups. Nope. No matter what, my wind always blows back up the hill towards north. Even on cloudy, cold days (no thermals). Ive come to the conclusion that the hill must create an eddy on my side and it sucks the wind back up it as the north wind comes over the top. About my best option is an east wind. Which is rare. As i type this, i screenshot where my app says my wind should be going. It's blowing opposite of that right now.
53799AF7-0242-4613-9C3B-87521168B07D.jpeg

Dumbluck

I don't think it matters where your at this weekend. The wind was constantly shifting it blew every direction on the compass, I honestly would not have even hunted yesterday if I had any idea how bad it was going to be shifting. I burned a good spot yesterday thinking it would settle in after the front. I gave myself an F- on hunting decisions yesterday. I may go out mid day for the afternoon today but not if the wind doesn't settle.

RockMcL

I hunt the end of a hollow that bends the wind & sound an amazing amount.

Recently, up in treestand on the north rising slope, I thought I heard a deer approaching behind me off my right shoulder. Then clear as could be I heard my wife's voice right where I was hearing the movement in the leaves. "Helllooo"

Worried about why she came up to my stand I said "I am over here". The sound/movement stopped and I repeated "I am over here". No answer. I dug out my phone, banging around and dialed the wife. About that time the 8 point that had been approaching blew out and bolted further back behind me.

The wife was all the way down at the house, had heard a noise on the deck (wind gusting) and stepped out and said "hello" thinking I was under the deck. I heard here crystal clear wrapped around the hollow about 800yds away.

To make it worse, the buck couldn't smell me and was confused by the voices and camped behind be, prancing back and forth trying to see/smell what was up. Never gave me a shot and finally busted me climbing down the stand at dark.

Terrain & wind is a hoot round here.

Ski

I hunt the end of a hollow that bends the wind & sound an amazing amount.

Recently, up in treestand on the north rising slope, I thought I heard a deer approaching behind me off my right shoulder. Then clear as could be I heard my wife's voice right where I was hearing the movement in the leaves. "Helllooo"

Worried about why she came up to my stand I said "I am over here". The sound/movement stopped and I repeated "I am over here". No answer. I dug out my phone, banging around and dialed the wife. About that time the 8 point that had been approaching blew out and bolted further back behind me.

The wife was all the way down at the house, had heard a noise on the deck (wind gusting) and stepped out and said "hello" thinking I was under the deck. I heard here crystal clear wrapped around the hollow about 800yds away.

To make it worse, the buck couldn't smell me and was confused by the voices and camped behind be, prancing back and forth trying to see/smell what was up. Never gave me a shot and finally busted me climbing down the stand at dark.

Terrain & wind is a hoot round here.

Hahaha that's exactly how it is on my place. It's amazing how the deer rarely scent me once I'm on stand. When I hunt flat country I always get busted by my scent pooling around the base of my tree. That's usually not an issue in the hills.

Falconi

The wind direction in the apps will be for the nearest weather reporting station (I'm making some assumptions here). The wind direction you are getting is most likely from the closest town. In other words, it might be different at your place.

hitek7

Yes, have several spots like that. Had a spot on property that we lost that you could hunt everyday no matter the winds direction because it would always be hitting you in the face no matter which direction the wind was blowing. I loved that spot.