newbie needs recommendations on call

waumpuscat

could any of you with experience recommend an electronic call for me and my son. I am in experienced but have coyotes and bobcats on my property that I would love to light up :grin:

stickler

I have a foxpro spitfire that works pretty good. I have called in a few with it but now Im starting to use Kerry Carver mouth calls and really loving it.

rem270

ive got a johnny stewart call i bought used from a guy off here. I dont coyote hunt much and didnt need nothing to expensive but for the price this thing works great. i used to carry a regular radio and put it out there and killed them like that. but this johnny stewart is alot louder. i didnt coyote hunt any last year and im definately ready to go again.

MWoodard

I really think mouth calls are the way to go also.They are inexpensive and call them in just as well as an e-caller. Start with a closed reed then work your way up to an open reed.

DIRTTRAX

Spitfire is a great call for the money, but there isn't anything like calling them in with a mouth call. I use both but prefer the mouth call, just cause it seems more well earned when you kill one. The e-caller does take the focus away from you.

But my best tip would be buy a Mojo Critter. They cant resist it when they see the movement.

waumpuscat

where do you guys go to get any of the items mentioned. Is there a place on line that most prefer? Like the Mojo Critter and different calls, I would think that I have to get that stuff at a particular place or do you just go to academy sports or walmart or other?
Is there a time of year that is usually more productive to hunt than others?

MWoodard

Allpredatorcalls.com has a huge selection but academy and bass pro also carry some good calls. My best times are early morning with a heavy frost or late evening when the temps never get above freezing.

jakeway

Do you think a rabbit distress call might scare away deer? I wouldn't mind trying to call in some yotes on my next deer hunt. Lord knows I can't get the deer to come to deer calls!

Wait a minute...

I just remembered that late last January I went to one of my deer ladder stands and hit the rabbit call for yotes, and within a few minutes 4 deer came by within easy bow range. The rabbit call didn;t scare those deer.

HuntNFish321

How do you guys hunt yotes? I mean do you guys use treestands or blinds? Is there a rule on what kind of gun/ weapon you can use? And are they in season all year?

jakeway

Get yourself a Coyote DVD from Primos featuring Randy Anderson. They are very entertaining DVDs, and Randy explains a lot of calls and techniques. Here's one excerpt from YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3HLTRblIqU

The thing that really impressed me with these DVDs is how much these guys laugh; they look like they're really having a ball out there. Not nearly as serious as a lot of the deer hunting TV guys can get.

jakeway

HuntNFish321 said:
How do you guys hunt yotes? I mean do you guys use treestands or blinds? Is there a rule on what kind of gun/ weapon you can use? And are they in season all year?

Most hunters just dress in camo, sit in a brushy or rocky spot, and call for a few minutes. If nothing shows up in a half hour or so, they move to another spot. That's what bothers me about Coyote unting in my deer woods; within a few minutes I've pretty much covered the 100 acre woods, and don't have anywhere else to go.

And yotes are legal year round in TN. thogh there may be some weapon restrictions at certain times or places. Check the rule book.

Yotehntr

The rabbit distress is the ticket for sure! I'd rather use hand calls... but of course I make 'em.. :) Try to sit in the shadows... (camo of course helps) and sit very still... to begin even earlier... every time I take someone new out coyote hunting the 1st thing I have to tell them is to be quite... you just can't walk around talking... they have at least as good of hearing as your dog... I can be watching tv (loud) and my dogs start going crazy... 5 min's later my wife walks in... Soo silence all through the woods folks! Sit in the shade... if you expect the coyotes from a certain direction and the wind is blowing that way.... don't bother calling.. I've seen their noses go up @ over 100 yards away... and about turn their selves inside out getting out of there. I sit at a stand about 15 min's so I agree with jakeaway... 100 acres ain't much to hunt coyote's on. If you click on the link at the bottom of my post there is a tutorial on my home page on calling... you are welcome to down load and burn it to a cd... you can practice in your car and keep the wife happy. ;) Here's the biggest tip I have... and it sounds obvious but remember when you get burned on it... when you sit down to call if you don't have a wide field of view and your not sure that you'll have to see them before they see you, it's not a good stand location... I don't know how many times I got burned before I started being picky about where I made a stand.

As far as the electronic's making them look some where else...? I just use a decoy heart... here's a link CLICK HERE He's even from TN (Jackson I think) I talked to him on the phone once a few years ago, real nice fella. Getting back to the subject I put the decoy about 30' in front of me... works like a charm... hope all this helps!

Brad

stickler

I have called a lot of mine in with jackrabbit distress. I know there arent any around here but most of my kills have been with jackrabbit distress. Also the mojo critter is pretty awesome gets there attention away from you and they love the movement.

Latest posts