New to TN help

saddle sitter

Hey ya'll. I just moved up to Rutherford county from South Georgia. I've hunted all my life and enjoy being outside. Being farther from home I won't get to go back and hunt much. Just wondering if you guys had any suggestions on public land. Already got a sit under my belt a Yanahli. Any suggestions are welcome. Also def interested in getting a lease for this year but realize it's a little late. Open to one next year as well if you know anyone looking to add a single hunter. Thanks for the help

Bone Collector

welcome to TN. below is a link to the TWRA WMA map. there is public land around, but I advise you to have a boat as it really allows you to access it all. Some WMAs without a boat you can barely access any of it. There are plenty deer in the area, archery is the lowest pressure, and obviously as ML and gun open up it gets worse. Some WMAs have special regs, such as what you can hunt with, so make sure you read the regs before going.

we have a bumper crop of acorns this year it looks like, so that can make it tough as you not only have to find a good area, you have to find the tree(s) they are eating under. That being said, if you've been hunting all your life, you should be able to stack a couple of deer in the freezer. Big bucks do exist, but you really have to be in the right place at the right time.

as far as leases go you will probably have to drive 1-2 hours to find one. Finding land to lease in Mid TN is difficult and costly.

saddle sitter

This is awesome. I do have a boat with a surface drive so I can get into some skinny places if need be. Only problem is it's a little loud. I am an archery hunter myself so trying to get it done before the rifle season comes in. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

Ski

Depending on where at in Rutherford you've got Cedars of Lebanon just north of Murfreesboro. I've seen good ones in there. And you've got AEDC, Bark Camp Barrens, Hickory Flats, and Maple Springs about 1/2hr drive south of Murfreesboro. And Normandy WMA also south of town. Good deer in all of them.

kaizen leader

Hey ya'll. I just moved up to Rutherford county from South Georgia. I've hunted all my life and enjoy being outside. Being farther from home I won't get to go back and hunt much. Just wondering if you guys had any suggestions on public land. Already got a sit under my belt a Yanahli. Any suggestions are welcome. Also def interested in getting a lease for this year but realize it's a little late. Open to one next year as well if you know anyone looking to add a single hunter. Thanks for the help
WMA along Old Hickory above 109 has some big bucks. Hard access unless by boat. Because of that not many hunters. Good luck.

Welcome! I'm from Clyattville. Where are you from?

Hduke86

This is awesome. I do have a boat with a surface drive so I can get into some skinny places if need be. Only problem is it's a little loud. I am an archery hunter myself so trying to get it done before the rifle season comes in. Went to Public land last week and saw a doe and a basket 6. Thanks for the help.
I'd definitely kill the motor WAY in advance of the area I would be trying to hunt and drop the trolling motor. The trend for boat access has gotten ridiculous over the last 5-8 years and I can guarantee that the deer in those areas have wised up to that sound coming from the water even with a regular outboard.

TNReb

Lots of public land around Percy Priest that probably isn't too far from you. It can be "thin" - not just acres and acres of big woods.