New to me boat “hops” when trimmed

midtndeerhunter

The center of your prop should be 3.5" from the bottom of the hull. That's a starting point.

What rpm's are you getting top end?
I'll have to measure that within the next couple of days and update. As far as Rpm I honestly don't know haven't ran it enough yet to pay attention. Stainless prop looks brand new. Can't remember pitch but I called the prop shop and they said the pitch that's on it should be fine.

Spurhunter

Yes, every one with an outboard and power trim.

I've yet to see one not gain top end with a fin and that includes my Ranger RT188

Your experience been different?
Yes. Your statement is very broad. There are hundreds of different kinds of aluminum boats. To say they all need a whale tail makes no sense. I've owned numerous aluminum "bass" boats from 17' to 19' and 60 hp to 175 hp. None of them have had or needed a whale tail. It may be exactly what the OP's boat needs, but they all don't need them.

6.5swede

First take a straight edge , put it on the bottom of the boat and see where the cavitation plate is in relation to it. Most are even to 1" above the bottom of the boat. You can raise the motor up or down. If it's too high it will usually porpoise but some boats are just prone to it If they are a lightweight hull.( rear end heavy) Add weight up front and see what happens.

Uncle Jesse

Yes. Your statement is very broad. There are hundreds of different kinds of aluminum boats. To say they all need a whale tail makes no sense. I've owned numerous aluminum "bass" boats from 17' to 19' and 60 hp to 175 hp. None of them have had or needed a whale tail. It may be exactly what the OP's boat needs, but they all don't need them.
Like I said, I've seen an improvement in every aluminum boat that has power trim by adding a fin.

You've not tried one so I think I'll stick with my experience vs your lack of

Hduke86

I say the motor needs height adjustment. Also distribute some weight AFTER you get the boat running smooth empty. You want the boat running correctly empty and then when you have a load in it then play with the weight distribution. If boats needed whale tails to run correctly assuming it's not crazy overpowered then they would come like that from the factory. Not only up or down adjustment but may need to set back away from the transom a little by a jack plate.

smalljawbasser

You really should take it to somebody and let them check it out if you don't know anything about it.

I was thinking you said you didn't - so please forgive me I'm not trying to insult you. But you're getting a lot of guessing and stabbing here. If you have a buddy that knows anything about setting up a boat, or find a dealer that will help you.

Where are you located, maybe somebody knows somebody close by.

midtndeerhunter

No disrespect there buddy I know turn the key and not afraid to say it lol. I would doubt it is factory motor and controls just from how the dude I got it from has it set up. Probably be best to get somebody to run through it and set it right for me. Im in Murfreesboro anybody know a reputable place/guy around?

smalljawbasser

Whew! Good deal I was a little worried I'd misread that.

If you don't come up with any recommendations for a dealer or good shop down there I have some friends that will know somebody. But I bet the TNDEER community will have some references.

Just a thought, have you asked the guy you bought it from what's up with it?

midtndeerhunter

Whew! Good deal I was a little worried I'd misread that.

If you don't come up with any recommendations for a dealer or good shop down there I have some friends that will know somebody. But I bet the TNDEER community will have some references.

Just a thought, have you asked the guy you bought it from what's up with it?
He knew about it and was upfront with it before I bought it. I'm sure it's some tweaking that needs be done. I think he was about as knowledgeable about it as I.

midtndeerhunter

trimmed all the way down my cavitation plate is an 1" to 1.25" below pad. I do have 2 more mounting bolt on motor bracket to raise. Reckon that's a good start? Will that mess with any cable tensions if moved?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 58

6.5swede

That small of a change shouldn't affect cables, I'd raise it all the way up and test it, if I remember correctly each hole raises it 3/4". go test it for comparison, then add weight up front run it and if It has a livewell up front fill it up. Weight can do a lot in some boats.

Bull_TN

Well just eyeballing my center of prop is way over 3.5". I may end up taking it somewhere. I live in Murfreesboro work in Nashville anybody got any recommendations on a guy?
Just seeing this thread, but I agree with all of those that have suggested the motor needs to be moved up or down. Post a pic showing where the lower unit is in relation to the bottom of the boat and we can probably tell you how to get this figured out in your driveway.

Latest posts