New technology, polymer cases

MUP

From Truevelocity I believe is the company behind the technology. The benefit is heat transfer, as brass is a heat conductor, but polymer is a heat shield, thus helping rifles and handguns perform with less heat. And another benefit, a major benefit for our troops especially, is weight reduction. I can't remember the weight ratio, but it's considerably lighter than conventional brass case ammo.

Now, putting my tinfoil hat on, does anyone see a correlation here relating to shelf life of this new technology? I know plastics will harden and deteriorate over a specified amount of time. I'm just wondering if this could be a two edged sword type deal. Any thoughts?

Hunter 257W

For me personally it's a worthless idea because I doubt these cases will be reloadable many if any times. Now for military use, less weight is always desirable. The heat transfer is also a big deal on military arms but no so much for sporting use. I have no idea about shelf-life of the material they are using but it is almost surely way less than current cartridge brass.

Haven't there already been cases with a steel head and "plastic" body? Seems as if i have some somewhere here. Maybe they were originally a blank though. Don't recall.

DaveB

Works well for shotguns and the new polymers can be engineered pretty strong.

Saw on Fox site the billion dollar product, a plastic that does not bind itself so tightly to its neighbor it can't be unbound, I think that is the discovery. This will allow for plastics to be re-used forever....

So, that thinking in reverse suggests a polymer can be built strong enough to push a 55 gr bullet down a barrel at around 2800 FPS. The expended casing would be useless to the enemy and could be color coded to blend with snow, sand or tropics.

I used to carry so much AR ammo to berm guard I could barely walk. Anything to make that load lighter is welcome.

Hunter 257W

True, shotshells have been made with plastics for many years but they operate at less than 15,000 psi compared to 60,000 + for rifles. Also if you reload shotshells a number of times the petals tend to just sort of erode/burn/melt away over time. The neck of say a 22-250 is going to operate in a pretty severe environment so I'd be interested to see how well these cases hold up for repeated loadings. Also thinking of the shotshells, I'd be interested to see if they have the material tough enough to work in the rim area without any reinforcement. As far as i know even shotshells have never been made without a reinforced rim using a metal disc of some sort molded into the plastic hull. And if this material will result in a rim that can achieve reliable extraction, can it do it say 10 times? Who knows, maybe it can?

brass magnet

Hunter 257W":2t078mny said:
For me personally it's a worthless idea because I doubt these cases will be reloadable many if any times. Now for military use, less weight is always desirable. The heat transfer is also a big deal on military arms but no so much for sporting use. I have no idea about shelf-life of the material they are using but it is almost surely way less than current cartridge brass.

Haven't there already been cases with a steel head and "plastic" body? Seems as if i have some somewhere here. Maybe they were originally a blank though. Don't recall.

I have some .38 spl. with aluminum case heads and polymer walls, not sure how they found me, but don't trust that, that close to my hand, I'll keep them in a shadow box to freak people out. :tu:

VAarrowslinger

Hunter 257W":18frru58 said:

Here

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Tiny

Have heard of seen some videos n read some articles on it, my last G&A has an ad for it.
While I don't care for the ideal overall it sounds good. Company has said they intend to market to civilians at some point but for now Military n Police.

Truevelocity is the name of the company www.tvammo.com

Latest posts