new Leupold Reticle

Zulu

mr.big said:
looks good to me,,I hope they can work it into the front focal plane
Wouldn't it have to be front focal plane if it's a true moa reticle? Otherwise it would only be true for one particular magnification, right?
Sorry, I'm a little ignorant on the mechanics of long range optics.

infoman jr.

Zulu said:
mr.big said:
looks good to me,,I hope they can work it into the front focal plane
Wouldn't it have to be front focal plane if it's a true moa reticle? Otherwise it would only be true for one particular magnification, right?
Sorry, I'm a little ignorant on the mechanics of long range optics.
You have the right idea. If a reticle does not change size with your magnification, that's called a second focal plane reticle. Usually the reticle is calibrated to be accurate on max power.

With first focal plane scopes, the reticle changes size proportionally to the magnification, thus keeping the reticle scale accurate.

mr.big

yes the SFP changes and it would only be right on 14x,but it would work on 7X if you doubled the MOA on the reticle,,I do most of my shooting on 14X but there are times when I like to be able to dial down when hunting or if mirage gets bad,,

mr.big

the more I look at that the more I like it,,would make hitting multiple targets at different ranges like taking candy from a baby,,and fast,,range it hold it and shoot,,

Zulu

infoman jr. said:
You have the right idea. If a reticle does not change size with your magnification, that's called a second focal plane reticle. Usually the reticle is calibrated to be accurate on max power.

With first focal plane scopes, the reticle changes size proportionally to the magnification, thus keeping the reticle scale accurate.

So what is the disadvantage of FFP reticles? Are they too difficult to see in low magnification/low light situations? Otherwise I'd think they'd be superior to SFP's in anything other than point-blank shooting.

Thanks.

mr.big

Zulu said:
infoman jr. said:

So what is the disadvantage of FFP reticles? Are they too difficult to see in low magnification/low light situations? Otherwise I'd think they'd be superior to SFP's in anything other than point-blank shooting.

Thanks.

yep,,thats pretty much it,,

paincave_2000

My Leupold Mark 6 set on 3 power is pretty hard to see but I don't have the best eyesight anyway, but if I'm shooting targets I've usually got it set on 6 or higher depending on distance.

TiminTN

The Bushnell Tactical 3.5x21 with the G2 retical designed by George Gardner is a nice looking retical as well. I just had 2 of those delivered to Avery last week. Built like a tank and takes 34mm rings. They are in mils and the turrets are mils, with FFP

Latest posts