New Land

HuntNFish321

So I have a new baby coming in december. I had already planned on not hunting this year because I couldn't afford to get on a lease. Well I came across the opportunity to get on some land at a very good price. Went and looked at it for the first time today. This land hasn't been hunted in years. It is extremely grown up and SUPER thick. So thick it'd be about impossible to hunt. What I am here for is where do I begin. How do I get this place prepared to hunt this year. (remember funds are tight). The only thing I can come up with is find me a spot with a good tree and clear out about 100 yards around. Any tips/advice is much appreciated!!

JCDEERMAN

If it was me, I would find about 3 trees to climb up in and cut some trails to them and your done. If I didn't have a climber, I'd get maybe 2 lock ons at Richard's in August for $70 a set (lock on and steps), set them up with trails going to them, then be done. Last thing I would do is clear out 100 yards all around where your hunting. I like hunting where it's so thick you can't see further than about 40 yards.

Mr.Bro

I wouldnt do any thing the first year.If its over 10 acres and as thick as you say and no one has been hunting it.Then theres a pretty good chance a large buck has found it and calls it home.Find trees on the edge.For a sw wind and a n wind.Ease in and ease out.Dont disturb it.
Wait till after this years season.Then cut your trails.Personally i would cut a thing.

HuntNFish321

Thank you for all the responses so far!! I am fairly new to deer hunting (on and off for about 3 years) but I have learned more from this site then I ever could've imagined!!! You guys are great!!

deerhunter10

it can be tough hunting thickets but that's where you will kill your big deer a lot of the time. find a couple trees you could climb if you have a climber or go to bass pro or some where and find come ladder stand for 70-80 dollars. or find some cheap lock ones. but continue to scout it. its tough to find out exactly where to hunt on your first time one the property.

Latest posts