New Hunter - Bare Minimum Necessary Gear

MUP

Lots of camo clothing, your preference of pattern. Good quality insulated outer layers, as well as base layers. I actually wear muck boots with very little insulation, and if it's really cold I'll add hand/foot warmers inside them. It's taken years to accumulate the several duffel bags of clothing I have. But, as for what I take in the woods, other than making sure I'm dressed for the weather, I have my rifle and ammo of course, a little bag containing my sharpfinger knife, grunt tube, 2 small flashlights, and a little rattle bag. I rarely use the tube and the bag, as they're there mostly in case I need to get the attention of a buck that I've already seen, as I don't blind call very often. That's pretty much it, and for sure my safety harness, unless I'm just hunting on the ground. It can be made too complicated, and that complication can lead to going less and getting burned out bc of all the hassle. Try to keep it as simple as you can so it doesn't become such a chore to go. Hope you have much success in the future!

Oh, and I wasn't kidding about the Imodium. ;)

SolaBeard

Lots of camo clothing, your preference of pattern. Good quality insulated outer layers, as well as base layers. I actually wear muck boots with very little insulation, and if it's really cold I'll add hand/foot warmers inside them. It's taken years to accumulate the several duffel bags of clothing I have. But, as for what I take in the woods, other than making sure I'm dressed for the weather, I have my rifle and ammo of course, a little bag containing my sharpfinger knife, grunt tube, 2 small flashlights, and a little rattle bag. I rarely use the tube and the bag, as they're there mostly in case I need to get the attention of a buck that I've already seen, as I don't blind call very often. That's pretty much it, and for sure my safety harness, unless I'm just hunting on the ground. It can be made too complicated, and that complication can lead to going less and getting burned out bc of all the hassle. Try to keep it as simple as you can so it doesn't become such a chore to go. Hope you have much success in the future!

Oh, and I wasn't kidding about the Imodium. ;)
Great advice on keeping it simple! Thank you!

Snake

I normally wear XL or 2XL if it is an outer layer. Size 12 boots.

I'm not picky! 😆 I went to Rural King a couple of weeks ago, and they had a TON of camo marked way down. Should have taken advantage then. Have you ever used their stuff? I think the brand was Logan? (Might be wrong on that)
Yeah purchased some insulated overalls and used them this year seem good quality to me . I have some other insulated overalls but they're size large plus pants, shirts all large . Sorry may have some boots size 13 if I can find them. My grandson wore 13's and knew he had some but finding them is another story . I'll try to dig this stiff out if I don't forget . Most that have hunted several years have accumulated more than they need so maybe someone will help a brother hunter out , this site has some really great people on board . Don't put aside any info some offer up either, there's a ton of knowledge these guys have most of my info is just bull 😂

Last edited:

Tenntrapper

Some great suggestions so far. I would like to add... Keep your expectations reasonable. The vast majority of the guys/gals on this site are on the west end of state. You will not be hunting the same terrain, or deer herd size as they are. It's very different on this end of the state. A positive attitude will help in the long run...don't get discouraged....it will happen. Took me about 10 yrs to get my first deer. The herd is much better here now, but nothing like the west end.
Also as already mentioned...stay active on here. Lots of info and guys willing to help. I personally know of a couple that could help with some gear...
Good luck with your gear search. Keep it in your budget, it doesn't need to be the latest, greatest, big name brand..most works just fine.
One other thing...all this gear... you're going to have to carry it...keep it simple and light.

dogsled

2-Step Enabled
I wash everything in All Free and Clear detergent. It's unscented, and does not irritate me where other detergents do. The Scent-a-way stuff is good too(and should be going on clearance soon if it already is not), but we already buy the All for every day use.
I wash everything in backing soda, air dry and then pack into a cedar chest for storage. Use the scent away sprays. Rechargeable hand warmer and really good gloves. As far a s guns go, if you don't have one already, get something with ammo you can find, 308 or 30-06 are both good choices.

DMD

I'm going to gum up the works here, but in the area of the state you are hunting, I'd HIGHLY recommend getting a treestand. You have 9+ months to find one and practice with it. I hunted the first several years of hunting life on the ground - when I finally got a decent treestand, it was the best move I ever made deer hunting. So many advantages, they are too numerous to name. And also get a safety harness. Hunting on the ground is okay for some places. Some highly experienced hunters can still hunt in large wooded tracts, but it is an absolute art that very few master. Being in a treestand increases your odds of seeing and killing deer astronomically. My hunting success and enjoyment increased exponentially when I started hunting out of a stand. Today's stands are lightweight, comfortable, quiet, easy to hang and climb. Keep your eye out in the classifieds for a Summit Viper or Goliath. Either is fantastic. There are other good ones as well. It won't take you just a few minutes to learn how to climb. Good luck, be careful and have fun.

SteveJ

The first time I went deer hunting, I borrowed a rifle with no scope, borrowed blaze orange and a knife and was given some ammo. I think I wore regular clothes and boots. No scent killer or detergent. We sat on the ground against a big tree. We watched how we walked in and saw plenty of deer. As time went on, I purchased a little each year as I found bargains and as I got more money. Trying to buy everything the first year may seem overwhelming and expensive. Go have a good time. Hunting is supposed to be fun.

SolaBeard

Some great suggestions so far. I would like to add... Keep your expectations reasonable. The vast majority of the guys/gals on this site are on the west end of state. You will not be hunting the same terrain, or deer herd size as they are. It's very different on this end of the state. A positive attitude will help in the long run...don't get discouraged....it will happen. Took me about 10 yrs to get my first deer. The herd is much better here now, but nothing like the west end.
Also as already mentioned...stay active on here. Lots of info and guys willing to help. I personally know of a couple that could help with some gear...
Good luck with your gear search. Keep it in your budget, it doesn't need to be the latest, greatest, big name brand..most works just fine.
One other thing...all this gear... you're going to have to carry it...keep it simple and light.
Ten years? Wow! I definitely agree that managing expectations are important. So for those 10 years, what kept you going? Was it the excitement of finally getting your first deer or did you find enjoyment during the waiting to keep you going back (watching other critters/birds, just being outside, the anticipation, etc.)?

Great insight, thanks!

SolaBeard

I'm going to gum up the works here, but in the area of the state you are hunting, I'd HIGHLY recommend getting a treestand. You have 9+ months to find one and practice with it. I hunted the first several years of hunting life on the ground - when I finally got a decent treestand, it was the best move I ever made deer hunting. So many advantages, they are too numerous to name. And also get a safety harness. Hunting on the ground is okay for some places. Some highly experienced hunters can still hunt in large wooded tracts, but it is an absolute art that very few master. Being in a treestand increases your odds of seeing and killing deer astronomically. My hunting success and enjoyment increased exponentially when I started hunting out of a stand. Today's stands are lightweight, comfortable, quiet, easy to hang and climb. Keep your eye out in the classifieds for a Summit Viper or Goliath. Either is fantastic. There are other good ones as well. It won't take you just a few minutes to learn how to climb. Good luck, be careful and have fun.
Thank you for sharing this. To be honest, when I saw the price and the setup process, I just put that thought aside and thought ground would be the way to go. I still think I'll spend this season on the ground getting started but I'll keep it in mind as I become more familiar with everything.

SolaBeard

The first time I went deer hunting, I borrowed a rifle with no scope, borrowed blaze orange and a knife and was given some ammo. I think I wore regular clothes and boots. No scent killer or detergent. We sat on the ground against a big tree. We watched how we walked in and saw plenty of deer. As time went on, I purchased a little each year as I found bargains and as I got more money. Trying to buy everything the first year may seem overwhelming and expensive. Go have a good time. Hunting is supposed to be fun.
Thanks for this reminder, Steve. I really appreciate a simplistic approach.

Tenntrapper

Ten years? Wow! I definitely agree that managing expectations are important. So for those 10 years, what kept you going? Was it the excitement of finally getting your first deer or did you find enjoyment during the waiting to keep you going back (watching other critters/birds, just being outside, the anticipation, etc.)?

Great insight, thanks!
What kept me going? Back in the early 80s when I started hunting deer...you were lucky to find a track, let alone the deer that made it.
Things are better than that now. I was having fun. Should also note...I also hunted small game. Some will disagree, but my opinion is that everyone should start out hunting squirrels, etc. It builds your base of knowledge of the woods. Every year, I read on here...and other places...yeah, little 4 yr old Billy scored his first deer today...351 yards..375 super duper mag... offhand...open sights, etc. I call BS! But to each his own. Another thing to remember...only thing you are reading on here (with a few exceptions) are success stories. Failed attempts (for whatever reason) outnumber them 1000 to one.
Just get out there and have fun...small game, big game, fishing, etc....it will happen when it's time. Hunting is everything you make it. Don't over complicate it.

Latest posts