New Hunter - Bare Minimum Necessary Gear

348Winchester

If you want to make the drive to northern Morgan County one Sat. or Sun in next month I will be happy to show you an array of rifles and take you scouting.

A 12 gauge shotgun with a cylinder bore or improved cylinder choke would be the best economical firearm and most versatile. If you decide on a muzzle loader I can teach you the ins and outs of that.

Be damned sure to get a good pair of boots and good socks as well.

Send me a pm if you're interested in a day or two of instruction.

DMD

I've chimed in on this a few times, I'm going to summarize an answer to your original question. If I was just starting out and I had no hunting equipment and little knowledge about deer hunting and I was hunting the east side of the state, as you are - here's what I would get:

Muzzleloader - CVA Optima - you can pick up a good used one with a scope for $200-250
Firing caps, Powder pellets and bullets for Muzzleloader - $40-60
Wicking base layer of clothes - $15-20 or less at somewhere like Hammer's or other discount stores
Any kind of second layer - jeans and t-shirt works fine
Outer layer(s) - decent vest, nothing fancy. Warm, water resistant, wind resistant coat and insulated pants with zipper legs - probably find used for $50-150. I can put you on really good hunting coats on ebay for $25-45. Also face mask, warm hat, and orange vest & hat.
Pocket knife - you can find one that will meet the need for $5 at Walmart
Treestand - I know what some have said, but I'm telling you - you will never regret getting a treestand and your odds of success increase astronomically in the area you are hunting. You can find a used Summit for $150-250. But, there are other cheaper ones that will work as well. Check Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist. Also, put a post here on TNdeer. And get a safety harness too. There are a number of people on TNdeer, myself included, that would gladly donate one to you, as most every new treestand comes with a free one.
Some other things that would be good to have - pull up rope to pull equipment up to your treestand, backpack - you can find one that will suffice at Walmart.

When I started hunting way back in the 80's - I was never around hunting, never hunted, didn't know anyone who hunted. So, I had to learn the hard way. I started out with a single shot shotgun, suede shoes with bread bags on my feet, and a lime green sleeping bag to keep warm, and lock blade Buck knife. It was the bare minimum. And I actually killed a deer, believe it or not...when there weren't many around to kill. But, things weren't available like they are then - including the ability to tap into knowledge like there is now or the internet to shop either. The list above is what I would want to start out with now. I'd also get some TOPO maps of the area I was hunting or a subscription to Onx. Now, you can hunt without the things on the list, many people do - but, there are the things you will need to be consistently successful. I don't spend a lot of money on deer hunting really - not compared to most (with the exception of my Trail Camera fascination), but there are just a few pieces of equipment that are a must to be CONSISTENTLY successful. IMO of course.

DMD

If you want to make the drive to northern Morgan County one Sat. or Sun in next month I will be happy to show you an array of rifles and take you scouting.

A 12 gauge shotgun with a cylinder bore or improved cylinder choke would be the best economical firearm and most versatile. If you decide on a muzzle loader I can teach you the ins and outs of that.

This is a super offer and 348winchester can tell you boatloads about hunting!

SolaBeard

Wow! That's a very kind and generous offer! I'll check and see what's going on and let you know. Thanks!

SolaBeard

I've chimed in on this a few times, I'm going to summarize an answer to your original question. If I was just starting out and I had no hunting equipment and little knowledge about deer hunting and I was hunting the east side of the state, as you are - here's what I would get:

Muzzleloader - CVA Optima - you can pick up a good used one with a scope for $200-250
Firing caps, Powder pellets and bullets for Muzzleloader - $40-60
Wicking base layer of clothes - $15-20 or less at somewhere like Hammer's or other discount stores
Any kind of second layer - jeans and t-shirt works fine
Outer layer(s) - decent vest, nothing fancy. Warm, water resistant, wind resistant coat and insulated pants with zipper legs - probably find used for $50-150. I can put you on really good hunting coats on ebay for $25-45. Also face mask, warm hat, and orange vest & hat.
Pocket knife - you can find one that will meet the need for $5 at Walmart
Treestand - I know what some have said, but I'm telling you - you will never regret getting a treestand and your odds of success increase astronomically in the area you are hunting. You can find a used Summit for $150-250. But, there are other cheaper ones that will work as well. Check Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist. Also, put a post here on TNdeer. And get a safety harness too. There are a number of people on TNdeer, myself included, that would gladly donate one to you, as most every new treestand comes with a free one.
Some other things that would be good to have - pull up rope to pull equipment up to your treestand, backpack - you can find one that will suffice at Walmart.

When I started hunting way back in the 80's - I was never around hunting, never hunted, didn't know anyone who hunted. So, I had to learn the hard way. I started out with a single shot shotgun, suede shoes with bread bags on my feet, and a lime green sleeping bag to keep warm, and lock blade Buck knife. It was the bare minimum. And I actually killed a deer, believe it or not...when there weren't many around to kill. But, things weren't available like they are then - including the ability to tap into knowledge like there is now or the internet to shop either. The list above is what I would want to start out with now. I'd also get some TOPO maps of the area I was hunting or a subscription to Onx. Now, you can hunt without the things on the list, many people do - but, there are the things you will need to be consistently successful. I don't spend a lot of money on deer hunting really - not compared to most (with the exception of my Trail Camera fascination), but there are just a few pieces of equipment that are a must to be CONSISTENTLY successful. IMO of course.
That's great! Thanks so much for taking the time to go back and make the list. I'll be referencing it going forward.

Genuine question/confession: I have never had a desire to hunt with a muzzleloader (not to say that won't change), so what makes a muzzleloader a good option for a new deer hunter?

MUP

Basically you get to get out in the woods before rifle season actually starts, with a single shot firearm in hand. It's the earliest, and in a lot of cases, the best opportunity to see the deer in a less stressed and nervous state. Also the beginning stages of the rut, so chances are usually good you'll see bucks cruising, if not chasing does.

DMD

That's great! Thanks so much for taking the time to go back and make the list. I'll be referencing it going forward.

Genuine question/confession: I have never had a desire to hunt with a muzzleloader (not to say that won't change), so what makes a muzzleloader a good option for a new deer hunter?
The two weeks of Muzzleloader season (I think it starts the first Saturday in NOvember....I can never remember how it falls) are arguably the best two weeks to hunt whitetails in East TN of the entire year. It generally falls in the seeking/chasing phase of the rut. Bucks are on their feet seeking out does in heat. You tend to see a lot of bucks up and going, nose on the ground seeking does. Rattling works best during this time period. Heck, I think that is the best time for all calling. But, if you don't have a muzzleloader, you miss those two weeks (unless you want to hunt with a bow).

Modern day muzzleloaders are the bomb. A breakdown muzzleloader like a CVA Optima are inexpensive, so easy to clean, and are super accurate. Normally, two powder bellets down the muzzle followed by a bullet/sabot combo and you are ready to hunt (after sighting in, of course). All you need to do is put a firing cap on it. The downside is you only get one shot at a time, then you have to reload...but you spoke about wanting a single shot at one point anyway. A CVA Optima is probably good out to at least 150 yards - maybe more. It's the perfect blend of a little bit more challenge and yet giving you enough advantage to up the odds of success.

If you polled TN deer hunters, I think you would find the vast majority find the two weeks of Muzzleloader season to be their favorite or most successful time to whitetail hunt. If I could only hunt with one weapon in TN, it would definitely be Muzzleloader. Anyway - I'm sorry to give you more to think about, I know how overwhelming it can be to get all kinds of advice from all kinds of people. I think I'll put a poll up on new thread about hunters favorite time to hunt. I'm curious now! LOL! Good luck.

SolaBeard

The two weeks of Muzzleloader season (I think it starts the first Saturday in NOvember....I can never remember how it falls) are arguably the best two weeks to hunt whitetails in East TN of the entire year. It generally falls in the seeking/chasing phase of the rut. Bucks are on their feet seeking out does in heat. You tend to see a lot of bucks up and going, nose on the ground seeking does. Rattling works best during this time period. Heck, I think that is the best time for all calling. But, if you don't have a muzzleloader, you miss those two weeks (unless you want to hunt with a bow).

Modern day muzzleloaders are the bomb. A breakdown muzzleloader like a CVA Optima are inexpensive, so easy to clean, and are super accurate. Normally, two powder bellets down the muzzle followed by a bullet/sabot combo and you are ready to hunt (after sighting in, of course). All you need to do is put a firing cap on it. The downside is you only get one shot at a time, then you have to reload...but you spoke about wanting a single shot at one point anyway. A CVA Optima is probably good out to at least 150 yards - maybe more. It's the perfect blend of a little bit more challenge and yet giving you enough advantage to up the odds of success.

If you polled TN deer hunters, I think you would find the vast majority find the two weeks of Muzzleloader season to be their favorite or most successful time to whitetail hunt. If I could only hunt with one weapon in TN, it would definitely be Muzzleloader. Anyway - I'm sorry to give you more to think about, I know how overwhelming it can be to get all kinds of advice from all kinds of people. I think I'll put a poll up on new thread about hunters favorite time to hunt. I'm curious now! LOL! Good luck.
Thanks so much for taking the time to explain. That makes more sense now! I'm not familiar with muzzleloaders at all so it seemed convoluted to me. But an extra two weeks is definitely appealing.

Do you use your muzzleloader even during rifle season or then do you always switch to a rifle then. Also, do you ever bow hunt?

SolaBeard

Basically you get to get out in the woods before rifle season actually starts, with a single shot firearm in hand. It's the earliest, and in a lot of cases, the best opportunity to see the deer in a less stressed and nervous state. Also the beginning stages of the rut, so chances are usually good you'll see bucks cruising, if not chasing does.
That makes total sense. Thanks!

MUP

That makes total sense. Thanks!
Was blessed to take my best and biggest buck to date during ML season here in TN. Also have killed 2 of my top 5 bucks with my ML.
IMG_20180709_164425636.jpg

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
Don't overlook the CVA Wolf either. It's usually even cheaper than the Optima, and I've had good luck with them. 2 Pellets and a 250gr XTP in a sabot has always been a great load for me in mine. Longest I've shot with it has been about 125 yards or so, but it should be good to 175-200 if you've practiced a little at that distance to know your holdovers with 100 yard zero. I sight in about an inch and a half high at 100, so I'm just about dead on at 150.

Tenntrapper

Don't overlook the CVA Wolf either. It's usually even cheaper than the Optima, and I've had good luck with them. 2 Pellets and a 250gr XTP in a sabot has always been a great load for me in mine. Longest I've shot with it has been about 125 yards or so, but it should be good to 175-200 if you've practiced a little at that distance to know your holdovers with 100 yard zero. I sight in about an inch and a half high at 100, so I'm just about dead on at 150.
Prior to giving up ML hunting this year, I was using a 195g 35 cal double sabot bullet over 110g of loose 777, at about 2300 fps. Gave a much flatter trajectory... extending the useful range.

SolaBeard

Prior to giving up ML hunting this year, I was using a 195g 35 cal double sabot bullet over 110g of loose 777, at about 2300 fps. Gave a much flatter trajectory... extending the useful range.
Is there a reason you gave it up? Sorry if you answered this earlier in the thread. I don't remember.

Tenntrapper

Is there a reason you gave it up? Sorry if you answered this earlier in the thread. I don't remember.
Couple reasons really. I prefer hunting when it's colder...I do better physically when cold. Heat just knocks the life out of me. Around here anymore, it can still be warm during ML.
Second..for those same health reasons, I feel like I'm very near the end of my deer hunting days. Just to difficult for me to get them out. I'm going to concentrate more on small game. Nothing against ML at all. Just getting rid of some stuff while I still can. Don't mean to sound morbid, but it's just what it is.

SolaBeard

Couple reasons really. I prefer hunting when it's colder...I do better physically when cold. Heat just knocks the life out of me. Around here anymore, it can still be warm during ML.
Second..for those same health reasons, I feel like I'm very near the end of my deer hunting days. Just to difficult for me to get them out. I'm going to concentrate more on small game. Nothing against ML at all. Just getting rid of some stuff while I still can. Don't mean to sound morbid, but it's just what it is.
No, I understand that.

DMD

Thanks so much for taking the time to explain. That makes more sense now! I'm not familiar with muzzleloaders at all so it seemed convoluted to me. But an extra two weeks is definitely appealing.

Do you use your muzzleloader even during rifle season or then do you always switch to a rifle then. Also, do you ever bow hunt?
I switch weapons with seasons, though, really, I would have no problem hunting with a muzzleloader during rifle season. I do bowhunt, but haven't the last couple of seasons. Just too much life in the way. But, I love bowhunting. It's quiet and peaceful. The deer are calm. I hope to do some bowhunting this next season.

DayDay

2-Step Enabled
I've had my most successful bow hunts during muzzle loader season. The deer are usually on the move where I hunt at that time. Every year I try to convince myself to get a muzzle loader and then I don't. Maybe now is the time for me. I may start researching this afternoon...

SolaBeard

I switch weapons with seasons, though, really, I would have no problem hunting with a muzzleloader during rifle season. I do bowhunt, but haven't the last couple of seasons. Just too much life in the way. But, I love bowhunting. It's quiet and peaceful. The deer are calm. I hope to do some bowhunting this next season.
Between rifle, muzzleloader and bow, which would you recommend for a beginner. I'm 98% sure I'll be going with a rifle, but I'm always interested in what others think!

Tenntrapper

Between rifle, muzzleloader and bow, which would you recommend for a beginner. I'm 98% sure I'll be going with a rifle, but I'm always interested in what others think!
Each have advantages and disadvantages.
For simplicity, I would go with rifle.
Also with season just ending, keep an eye on the used mkt. Usually a bunch of deer rifles show up for sale. Might be able to step up to next level of rifle for the same money.

Latest posts