New Browning A5 vs SBE II vs SBE III

casjoker

Thinking about adding a 12ga semi to the gun case. Want to start doing more goose hunting and my current 12 is a pump. I miss not having a semi 12 when switching between my 20 and 12. My other thought in buying a new gun is I hunt in salt water 1-2 times per year. My Franchi has held up great my Winchester SXP not so much. They both get torn down completely at the end of the day when ocean hunting no rust in 17 years in the Franchi. One season with the SXP and it's already showing rust...not happy about that. I started looking at the Franchi Intensity (I already have an older 20ga Franchi semi and it's a great gun) and then the sales guy hands me the new Browning A5 and an SBE III. Dam if it isn't the difference between a Malibu and a Cadillac. Franchi was nice but the other two felt in a different league. So who has experience with the New A5, SBE II and/or the SBE III? Not sure I will get any because fo the price tag. Although I have heard of leftover SBE II going for around $1000.

BlackEagle1

I owned a new A5 and have no complaints with fit or function. The issue I had is to clean the recoil spring you have to beat a roll pin out and the threads on the cap are extremely fine. The fine threads gum up and make it very difficult to remove. The eagle III doesn't have the best reviews, and apparently has some extreme POI issues. The black eagle II has been good to me and would be my choice. Some will tend to shoot high but in my experience it's easily corrected. Good luck!!

Cache

2-Step Enabled
I've got a Benelli M2. If I can afford it when the time comes both my boys will be shooting the same gun in a 20 gauge.

casjoker

Looked at the Beretta's, they have a great rep but don't fit me well. Considered the M2 but doesn't shoot 3.5", which I am not really sure I need but am on the fence about. Hell, I have shot everything from doves to Canada Geese with my 20ga so not sure I need the 3.5". Not 100% sure I even need a 12ga, LOL!

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
I shoot an SX3, just fit me better, points better, and is a dream to shoot. I didn't "need" to be able to shoot 3.5 inch shells, but it is nice to be able to if that's all you can find at the last minute.

Cache

2-Step Enabled
casjoker":1lb54kr2 said:
Looked at the Beretta's, they have a great rep but don't fit me well. Considered the M2 but doesn't shoot 3.5", which I am not really sure I need but am on the fence about. Hell, I have shot everything from doves to Canada Geese with my 20ga so not sure I need the 3.5". Not 100% sure I even need a 12ga, LOL!

I said the same thing. Used to shoot 3.5s at snow geese but I can kill what I want with 3inch 2s all day.

Cotis

I shoot an SX3, went duck hunting for the first time this weekend down in Sledge, MS. My buddy who hosted me shoots a new SBE3, it's a sweet feeling gun in the hands. Not sure it is worth 2x the sx3 though.

TNReb

It entirely depends on what fits you best. Hold both. Shoulder both. Shoot both if you can. You'll know which one you like best. They're both dependable guns and other people's opinions don't matter.

I bought an A5 a few years ago. I convinced myself I just had to have an SBE II. I sold the A5 and bought the SBE II. I hunted with the SBE II about 3 days and missed my A5. I sold the SBE II and bought another A5.

To me the A5 shoulders and points better. I would never criticize the SBE II. I'ts an excellent gun, but it just doesn't feel as good or point as naturally for me.

This may be irrelevant to you, but I had a hard time patterning my SBE II for turkey. I wasn't impressed with it. On the other hand, my buddy REN has one and his patterns great.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
Not sure where you are in the state, but if I recall correctly, Final Flight between Union City and Martin used to have a few guns you could take out back and test fire to see how you liked them before you bought one.

casjoker

I am way over in Knoxville but I travel to AR a few times a year. I may have to time one of my trips to swing by FF, in UC. Heard only good things about them.

tickweed

I hunt every day of a 60-day season. I have four or five buddies who also do the same thing. Day in and day out average 3 to 5 cases of shells a season. Don't have time to keep guns clean. if you want one thats flawless go with the Super Black Eagle . After season we work in Arkansas for an Outfitter running snow goose hunts. Laying in ditches mud they still perform. Like they say once you go black you won't go back. Mine is 11 years old only problem I've ever had was with an extractor excellent customer service. The A5 is also a good gun . You're looking at the top two in my opinion . Good luck

Bgoodman30

casjoker":2tyyb5ir said:

Nope you don't need 3.5. I've owned a SBE2 and now I️ shoot a M2 and love it. Franchi is good too. I️ am not a big fan of new A5 had some cycling issues when I️ borrowed a buddies. I️ have a 3" Vinci I'll sell you? You can also get a good deal on used at Whitaker's, lots a guys traded there SBE2s for 3's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gravey

I bought a SBE II a couple of years ago and love it. Hunted quail down in South Georgia the past day and a half and must say I knocked down my fair share. It just feels like an extension of me and swings great. A guy with me just got the 3 and really liked it. As already mentioned go pick them all up and shoulder them.