Neighborhood Skunks

BigRed1080

Good Morning TnDeer Members,
The neighbor shot a skunk yesterday with a .38 and I was like what in the world are you doing? So last night I put out a couple of live traps. Well sure enough upon the check this morning I doubled up last night. Hopefully, I can catch the rest tonight and be done with the problem. I think any animal problem in the neighborhood will be my problem now that people know I trap. I'll throw up some pictures once I let them expire.

Happy Thursday!

Attachments

• IMG_9106.jpeg
    IMG_9106.jpeg
    661 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_9107.jpeg
    IMG_9107.jpeg
    707.4 KB · Views: 62

Planking

Skunks are bad around my house so i understand the frustration of your neighbor. I had one that i couldn't trap that would make me gag almost every night. Finally caught it out late one afternoon. What kind of bait do you like for skunks? Ive caught them on dry dog food and cooked chicken.

Carlos

They dig up, and eat yellow jackets nests, I don't mind having a couple of em around here.

Carlos

How do you get them out of a live trap without getting sprayed?
I lay a beach towel over the trap. Then use a long pole, usually a 10ft piece of rigid pipe, with a hook attached on the end to move the trap. After that, just prop the door open, and they'll waddle off.

I've done this over 20x and only had 1 spray out of all those. It got on my shoes and pants leg, had to throw them all out.

Planking

Ive heard talking to them as you walk up to put a tarp on them helps as well. Don't dump them on private landowners. Ive seen a**hats do that at night with thermals more than once. It's enraging.

BigRed1080

Skunks are bad around my house so i understand the frustration of your neighbor. I had one that i couldn't trap that would make me gag almost every night. Finally caught it out late one afternoon. What kind of bait do you like for skunks? Ive caught them on dry dog food and cooked chicken.
I used a pack of peanut butter crackers for these two.

peytoncreekhunter

How do you get them out of a live trap without getting sprayed?

This sounds cruel but a critter ridder guy told me to put the live trap in a big heavy duty black garbage bag so when the trap door closes the skunk can't see anything. When the skunk is trapped, spray a can of starter fluid in the bag and the skunk will suffocate and will not spray. He said the will usually spray when shot.

DaveTN

I had a skunk and bought a trap to try to catch it. I didn't have any luck and he finally left. I caught squirrels, racoons, and opossums though. Squirrels were the worst, they were crazy pizzed off. 🤣

A few years ago, my dog got sprayed, I don't ever want to go through that again.

peytoncreekhunter

Well, just like when you take you car to the mechanic because it's doing something and it won't do it for the mechanic... I've set the trap out for 2 nights and the skunk hasn't showed...lol

Maybe he got ironed out by a car!

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
This sounds cruel but a critter ridder guy told me to put the live trap in a big heavy duty black garbage bag so when the trap door closes the skunk can't see anything. When the skunk is trapped, spray a can of starter fluid in the bag and the skunk will suffocate and will not spray. He said the will usually spray when shot.
Starter Fluid is ether . Sounds like putting them asleep is a very Humane way to dispose of a problem. After you trap them it is not legal to relocate your problem critters to another property.

Latest posts