Removing skunks from your live traps

pass-thru

shoot it behind the shoulder with a .22. It may or may not spray. If you shoot in the head it will spray. An expensive option is a syringe pole with poison.

I prefer to catch them dead. If I had to use a live trap I would use one that is fully enclosed, to small for the skunk to lift it's tail. Then drop it in a tank of water.

CATCHDAWG

Just walk up easily to the trap with a tarp and cover it, then take it to be baptized. I've never had one spray doing that. If you shoot it and I mean shoot it anywhere, most likely it's gonna spray.

matt_brown

Catchdawg is correct ...tarp, blanket, army poncho works great too. I was very worried the first time I tried this but it works. I was told that as long as they couldn't see your feet you were fine but who really knows.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Mike Belt

I've caught a couple in my live trap including 1 inside my garage. Drowning them would be the easiest move but I didn't want to put them in my truck to transport them to water. I also didn't want to shoot them and possibly damage my trap so I just released them and shot them after they walked out. I agree that you walk towards the trap with a tarp or some type of cover. This way if they fire off at least there's something between you and them. Once you cover the trap they seem to calm down. Then you have to pick the trap up which can be tricky. The real trick (the way I do it) is to reach around and open the trap and hold it open long enough for the skunk to walk out. I've been successful so far.

Latest posts