Need suggestions for 1st cross bow

sharpshooter

I bought an Excalibur Mag 340 last year and upgraded the trigger. After researching and using this bow last year, I fully expect to have many seasons of reliable service with only an occasional string change. Here is the bow and trigger links. Wyvern Creations is also a great company to deal with.

TheLBLman

Recurve crossbows are simple, dependable, accurate.
And negate any need for a "pro shop" to replace the string if you accidently cut it while hunting.
You can actually replace a string from a tree stand in about 5 minutes.

I would not feel handicapped hunting with my original 15-plus year old Excalibur recurve, as it's a solid setup, same hole accuracy at 20 yds. The newer versions are just better.

CHRIS WILSON

Recurve crossbows are simple, dependable, accurate.
And negate any need for a "pro shop" to replace the string if you accidently cut it while hunting.
You can actually replace a string from a tree stand in about 5 minutes.

I would not feel handicapped hunting with my original 15-plus year old Excalibur recurve, as it's a solid setup, same hole accuracy at 20 yds. The newer versions are just better.
Agree. I purchased an Excalibur Mag 340 this past Spring after spending a good bit of time online looking and reading about various brands and models. Couldn't be happier with the purchase at this point.

TheLBLman

I bought an Excalibur Mag 340 last year and upgraded the trigger. I fully expect to have many seasons of reliable service with only an occasional string change. Wyvern Creations is also a great company to deal with.
I will also recommend Wyvern Creations.
A few years ago when Excalibur came out with their "Micro" series,
I obtained one from Wyvern, and topped it with the scope he recommended.
All I've done since is proactively change the string every year.

I keep a spare string in my fanny pack, just in case I need to change one in the field.

The factory trigger on the Micro series was a significant improvement over the older Excals, and a trigger upgrade wasn't really needed.

Last year, added the 3rd Excal bow (from Wyvern) with the then new Excal Micro Assassin 400 Take-Down. Had reservations about a bow so easily "taken apart" for traveling, but it is a flawless system, very easy to take down & put back in seconds.

Last edited:

TheLBLman

Although I'm praising the Excal brand, if not for needing an optical sight (suffering from "old eyes"), I'd still prefer to be bowhunting with a more traditional vertical or compound bow. I did go back to a simple recurve bow (no sights) for a while before transitioning to a crossbow.

Many older hunters are going to crossbows due to shoulder & back problems. It was more a vision issue for me.

For the younger hunters just learning to bowhunt, I still recommend more traditional archery via a vertical recurve and/or vertical compound bow. Becoming an accomplished bowhunter with these will help you more quickly become an accomplished hunter with whatever you find in your hands later.

Rakkin6

So I will say up front I am a huge Tenpoint fan. Tenpoint also makes Wicked Ridge crossbows with the same warranty etc. Not sure what your budget is, you said working man so I will put a link on here for you to check out. You can check out the rest of their crossbows from this link. I think what you are looking for would start at the Titan De-chocolate chip cookie down. If you can afford one that decocks without firing I recommend it. Don't pay attention to the prices at the ones at the top of the page. I am a crossbow hunter and no way I would pay those prices. You are actually spending has much for the scopes has you are the crossbow on those.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rakkin6

I bought the Tenpoint Turbo S1 a few months ago. I love it!
I have the Stealth NXT and the Vengent S440. The Vengent is able to be decocked without firing. I love them both and switch them out through the season. Not sure what the OPs budget is but even the Wicked Ridge are really quality bows.

TheLBLman

I have the Stealth NXT and the Vengent S440. The Vengent is able to be decocked without firing.
Not sure how many are aware, but ALL simple recurve crossbows are easily decocked without firing. That was one of them main reasons I chose the recurve route many years ago.

Somewhat amusing now many compound crossbows are claiming this as a great "new" feature 😀

Mr.Bro

The Sub 1 series from Mathews decockssand you can change the strings while sitting in your tree stand. Shoot em before you buy one.
Don't buy a loud bow!

Joe2Kool

So I will say up front I am a huge Tenpoint fan. Tenpoint also makes Wicked Ridge crossbows with the same warranty etc. Not sure what your budget is, you said working man so I will put a link on here for you to check out. You can check out the rest of their crossbows from this link. I think what you are looking for would start at the Titan De-**** down. If you can afford one that decocks without firing I recommend it. Don't pay attention to the prices at the ones at the top of the page. I am a crossbow hunter and no way I would pay those prices. You are actually spending has much for the scopes has you are the crossbow on those.

Don't have one, but read a recent article about a Wicked Ridge. Price around $700 I think. The ability to de-kock it is something my next one will definitely have.

knightrider

I will also recommend Wyvern Creations.
A few years ago when Excalibur came out with their "Micro" series,
I obtained one from Wyvern, and topped it with the scope he recommended.
All I've done since is proactively change the string every year.

I keep a spare string in my fanny pack, just in case I need to change one in the field.

The factory trigger on the Micro series was a significant improvement over the older Excals, and a trigger upgrade wasn't really needed.

Last year, added the 3rd Excal bow (from Wyvern) with the then new Excal Micro Assassin 400 Take-Down. Had reservations about a bow so easily "taken apart" for traveling, but it is a flawless system, very easy to take down & put back in seconds.
Love my 400 td easy storing, transporting and always on the money

Latest posts