Need Help With Beagle

GypsyByChoice

Ive got a young beagle that comes from a pretty good bloodline of hunting dogs. I have never trained a dog for hunting. Can someone help me with this. Any advise or knowledge would help out alot. thanks

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
I have found it best to take one out with dogs that know what thier doing for a few lessons.Sometimes they pick it up pretty quick. It's nice if another dog or 2 can teach it to run rabbits and not deer.If you want to do it by yourself a good training collar is nice. Teach it to come to you on command, also to turn left and turn right.It will keep a dog from running off also a good way to teach it property lines.

RackHntr

To get him running take him walking and try to jump a rabbit in front of him. He should give chase and try to trail it. This may take a couple jumps. When hes about 6 months old is a good time to do this. I wouldnt shock him until he starts running good.

PickettSFHunter

What the above said. I also like to set my live traps out and trap a rabbit to put the pup right on top of. I also like to feed them some rabbit, which some will disagree with but I do it. The best thing is to get it to running with experienced dogs that wont run trash.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
Steve I know alot of people do it,but I'm sure info man will be letting ya know. It's a no-no in Tn. to trap them for training.I. know it's a good way. Just don't want Gyspy to get in trouble

PickettSFHunter

Infoman, I thought that would solicit a response lol Heres what Im wondering, I have been told by a warden that you can trap them, you just cant transport them? That you have to turn them loose right where you trap them?

GypsyByChoice

She is about 6 months old but I dont know where to start or what all I need to start her running. Not seeing to many rabbits here right now. I was seeing ALOT of them here a couple of months ago but they are all hibernating I guess.

GypsyByChoice

Ok
#1. West Tn Huntin Man... You said get a good training collar. Where can I get one and which one is a good brand ?

#2. Tenn Hoss... What is a hunting pen ? where can I get one or how can I build one ?

TnHoss

I am about 30 minutes from you on the southern end of Meigs County. I am heading out the door for work but I'll holler back this evening and answer your ?'s. I have some young dogs I am working with this sunday if you want to tag along.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
Alot of places for training collars. Bass Pro,Gander Mountain most good sporting good stores. Like mentioned earlier let him grow up alittle maybe 9 months to a year. Young dogs can be alittle afraid of the collar. Make sure you reward him when he does well.

TnHoss

A starting pen is a fenced in enclosure that you put young pups in to get them chasing rabbits. Most are anywhere from 3 to 10 acres or more. I take my young dogs to a pen in Kentucky and have been very pleased with the results. I have a 8 month old male I am taking next month to get started. There are starting pens in and around Meigs County but I don't know if they are open to the public, only one I know that is for sure is near the airport in Dayton. You will have to check around on the prices as some can be pretty expensive.There is also one near McMinnville but thats about as close as the one Swamper is referring too.

GypsyByChoice

Well, I got a chance to take my dog out for the first time today. I took her with me just to get her used to running around in the bushes. I had her on a leash just so I could keep her close to me. I figured her walking through the weeds and bushes with me would get her used to it. Well, she started out just going in circles and doing alot of sniffing around, but to my suprise she actually ran up on a rabbit in the weeds. When it took off, she almost took me with her. I was pretty proud of her for her first time.

Latest posts