I want to start with squirrel or rabbit

Hduke86

Only tip I have is start with squirrels and get out on a chunk of public land and slowly walk and listen to hickory nuts being cut and dropped. Don't move fast through the woods. Also make it a future deer hunting place and scout and mark deer sign. I do that while I'm turkey hunting and it's always my starting point of unfamiliar places.

rickyk280

Only tip I have is start with squirrels and get out on a chunk of public land and slowly walk and listen to hickory nuts being cut and dropped. Don't move fast through the woods. Also make it a future deer hunting place and scout and mark deer sign. I do that while I'm turkey hunting and it's always my starting point of unfamiliar places.
This is good and simple advice, you will learn a lot on your own. I been squirrel hunting for nearly 60 years and regardless what you hear it's not rocket science. Get out there have a good time in the woods.

MickThompson

I got a .22rl , any tips will be appreciated.
I'd stick to squirrels for the most part. Learn their seasonal foods- hickories are usually first, then acorns as the season progresses. I like a 22 early when they're cutting up high in trees and at the very end when they're skittish, shotgun in between. The extra vegetation helps slow down that bullet in the case of a miss.

Also keep your shots with a 22 either straight up, or into a backstop.

Rabbits stay holed up in the absolute thickest cover except early in the morning and lat in the evening. You might be able to still hunt one coming out of cover to feed.

GodGunAndCountry

I'd stick to squirrels for the most part. Learn their seasonal foods- hickories are usually first, then acorns as the season progresses. I like a 22 early when they're cutting up high in trees and at the very end when they're skittish, shotgun in between. The extra vegetation helps slow down that bullet in the case of a miss.

Also keep your shots with a 22 either straight up, or into a backstop.

Rabbits stay holed up in the absolute thickest cover except early in the morning and lat in the evening. You might be able to still hunt one coming out of cover to feed.
Thank you!

mike243

Get very familiar with your 22 and site it in at the distance you think you will be shooting, 30y is pretty common for me but you add a tall tree and it may stretch 40y, be able to head shoot off the bench, then shoot for the ribs as there is no meat on them. Acorns are always first cut in my area , different types ripen before others. Have fun and when bow season starts look out for deer hunters and try not to ruin their day by bumping deer if you know somebody is near.

Latest posts