Food Plots Need Food Plot Advice

nock

Just starting disking up a food plot on my property. About a 1/4 acre size plot. All I have used for years is clover or turnip greens. I thought I might break into something new this year to mix with it. Any suggestions?

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
For anyone in the Jackson, TN area, we are having a food plot seminar through our men's outreach at church. There is no cost to attend, may be a small charge for soil samples. Everyone is welcome to attend.

Food%20Plot%20Seminar%2013.gif

348Winchester

I have small plots like yours. Mine are 1/4 to 1/3 of an acre. Small plots have worked well for me these 17 years since planting my first one. I have found that wheat, oats, or grain rye are hard to beat. These cereal grains will produce a lot of forage in a small plot. If you are just starting a new plot and the soil is marginal, winter grain rye is a great soil builder since it adds abundant organic matter when plowed under the following spring as green manure. If your soil is fair go with wheat. If your soil is good to excellent oats are best in my opinion.

Once I get a plot well established and the soil worked up and well limed and fertilized, I almost always plant oats and crimson clover. I have sown Dwarf Essex Rape and Siberian Kale into the plots as well. On one of my plots, the deer would not touch the rape/kale/turnips. On another plot they used it moderately. On my biggest plot they tore it up! These plots are in different locations; one is in Morgan County and two are in Scott County.

My simple formula is to mow the plot down as close as possible about late July. Then, in early August, I disc it thoroughly and lime it at the rate of 1 ton per acre or 500 lbs for a 1/4 acre. Lime is essential! It will make more of a difference than fertilizer over the long run. Since my main plot is next to my house, I disc it several times between early August and mid-September to hold down on weeds. Then, about mid-September, I seed/fertilize(200 lbs/acre) the plot right before a rain. A couple of weeks later I re-seed any thin or bald spots.

The following late winter/early spring I frost seed some red and white clover into the plot. Then in early June, I mow it to about ankle height. This extends the fall/winter plot into a spring/summer plot.

jmb4wd

348Winchester said:
I have small plots like yours. Mine are 1/4 to 1/3 of an acre. Small plots have worked well for me these 17 years since planting my first one. I have found that wheat, oats, or grain rye are hard to beat. These cereal grains will produce a lot of forage in a small plot. If you are just starting a new plot and the soil is marginal, winter grain rye is a great soil builder since it adds abundant organic matter when plowed under the following spring as green manure. If your soil is fair go with wheat. If your soil is good to excellent oats are best in my opinion.

Once I get a plot well established and the soil worked up and well limed and fertilized, I almost always plant oats and crimson clover. I have sown Dwarf Essex Rape and Siberian Kale into the plots as well. On one of my plots, the deer would not touch the rape/kale/turnips. On another plot they used it moderately. On my biggest plot they tore it up! These plots are in different locations; one is in Morgan County and two are in Scott County.

My simple formula is to mow the plot down as close as possible about late July. Then, in early August, I disc it thoroughly and lime it at the rate of 1 ton per acre or 500 lbs for a 1/4 acre. Lime is essential! It will make more of a difference than fertilizer over the long run. Since my main plot is next to my house, I disc it several times between early August and mid-September to hold down on weeds. Then, about mid-September, I seed/fertilize(200 lbs/acre) the plot right before a rain. A couple of weeks later I re-seed any thin or bald spots.

The following late winter/early spring I frost seed some red and white clover into the plot. Then in early June, I mow it to about ankle height. This extends the fall/winter plot into a spring/summer plot.

Great summary of hows its done when its close by the house! Im usually not that lucky!!

348Winchester

Yea, I know what you mean. Two of my plots are miles from my home and I must road my tractor over to plant them. It's about an hour and ten miutes on the road each way.

Great White Stalker

Hey Winchester I started 2 plots this year in the spring. I mowed to the ground and then planted clover heavily. Now its over ran with old field grass. Should I have sprayed before seeding? If so, then what spray would you recommend where I can spray and seed in the same couple of months. By the way I was told to wait until fall to plant but I thought I would go ahead and plant in the spring and then reseed in the fall. The way these plots look now I think Im just going to have to start over for the fall. Also Im doing this all by garden tiller. Thanks for any input guys.

nock

Thanks for all the input. I have always had good luck with clover I may try the oats. I have not tried oats before

spoon

Great White Stalker said:
Hey Winchester I started 2 plots this year in the spring. I mowed to the ground and then planted clover heavily. Now its over ran with old field grass. Should I have sprayed before seeding? If so, then what spray would you recommend where I can spray and seed in the same couple of months. By the way I was told to wait until fall to plant but I thought I would go ahead and plant in the spring and then reseed in the fall. The way these plots look now I think Im just going to have to start over for the fall. Also Im doing this all by garden tiller. Thanks for any input guys.

I would mow as low as possible, wait 2 weeks spray with gly. About mid-sept. break ground plant mix of wheat, oaks and clover

Latest posts