My year with my daughter

hitek7

My daughter is 8 years old and has killed 5 deer since turning 6 years old. Her biggest was a 6 point shot with a crossbow last year. This year I decided she was going to shoot a deer big enough for me to get mounted for her. She went through archery season without a kill but passed a good 7 point twice (neighbor eventually shot) and had 2 encounters with 8 points that we were not able to seal the deal on.

Opening afternoon of ML, she had an encounter with a nice 8 that stepped into the woods two steps before he come to the opening where she could shoot. About 10 minutes later I look up and one pops out just up from where the 8 went into the woods. I could see it was a good deer and thought it was the 8. We messed around and she said she did not have an open shot. I looked down the gun and told her she was good. She pulled the trigger and the deer turned his head and looked our way. I noticed then that is was not the same 8 point and got the binoculars up to determine it was a 9 point about 19-20" wide (very nice deer). He turned and just walked away. Upon further examination she was right, the bullet caught the top of a limb. I felt like crap.

Opening morning of rifle we see the same 9 point but he is about 200 yds away and out of her range. A little later a big 8 point comes out and chases a does around for 10 minutes in front of us 90-130 yds. Every time she gets on him and says "I got him" he takes off after the doe. The one time he stopped for about 3 minutes he was behind the only limbs I did not cut out of the way. They finally move on. Later, another 8 comes out on my side of the tree and there is no way she can turn that way to shoot so I just watch it walk off..

Long story short, she has had encounters with about 10 deer 8 point or better and we have not been able to connect yet for some reason or another. 2 of the encounters come this past weekend. Guess I am just venting a little as I have missed several opportunities this year as I have only been hunting 5 times without her (and passed deer hoping she would get a shot at them). We did not see a deer Sunday morning and I made the comment "well, that was a waste of time". She said "not really, we were spending time together". About brought a tear to my eye and brought me down to earth. She may not get her deer by the end of season but we have created many memories (good and bad) that I would not trade for a world record deer...

Carlos

Way to go, remember what's important. These days we all seem to get caught up into the Trophy side of hunting. It should all be more about making memories and spending time in the outdoors. Big bucks are always great but they're not the priority.

280longshot

I have two daughters of my own , try to take them often or as much as they would like to go or show interest. Its harder for daughters to show alot of interest in deer hunting I'm sure. Enjoy the time hunting and making memories cause it's sure what it's about to me not killing a trophy deer.
I think my younger girl is showing more interest than my older one.

hitek7

Don't get me wrong, she wants to shoot as bad as I want her to but she understands that there is more too it than that. She pretty spends every weekend myself, dad, and brother at out "hunting camp". She wakes up every morning and goes even when my dad stays and sleeps in. She has made me proud!

BSK

Sharing the love of hunting with your child can be one of the greatest experiences in life. Hearing, seeing, and physically feeling the effects of their adrenaline rush as they see a deer they want to shoot is even better than feeling it yourself. And although I don't want to sound sexist, I think it is extra special when it is shared between mother and son, or father and daughter. I treasure the times I get to hunt with my daughter.

tickweed

My two girls, age 10 and 12 hunt with me also. Both have taken deer, turkey, small game. I have more fun when hunting with them then I ever have had by myself. They do grow up fast.

Jaahspike

The way I see it, there are a lot of people on here that would love to see that many good bucks in one season! Sounds like yall have had an awesome season :D

mathews338

Sounds awesome, my daughter really wanted to go at first and has killed 4 deer but here recently she has not wanted to go. I hope she picks it back up because those moments in the woods with her so special.

hitek7

Well, the saga continues... Decided we would go out this afternoon and shoot a doe for the freezer. Got to the stand and realized I has to have a seat for her to hunt it. Had to settle for another stand about 100 yds away. Surprisingly, a big ol doe steps out at 3:30 about 30 yds from the other stand (about 110 yds from us). Well, the first deer she ever shot with rifle was 105 yds so this should be no big deal. Trigger pulled and she hops off and stops. A clean miss. Looked and saw a limb shaking, not sure from muzzle blast or hit with bullet... So hear we sit hoping for a miracle that another one comes out... We are not giving up!

hitek7

Another encounter with a 3 year old 8. We had him at 50 yds but he turned and chased a doe. Happened fairly quick. We new he was coming and was ready, he just needed to take 2 more steps. We will keep on trying!

Latest posts