My Grandfather's Collection

david k.

My grandfather passed away about 20 years ago but collecting had been his hobby for most of his adult life. He would make shadowboxes to display arrowheads and spear points and gave them away as gifts in many cases. My grandmother donated about 80-90% of his collection to a museum but a few pieces have been passed down to children and grandchildren and I thought I'd share a few pics. I put my hand in the pictures for scale.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 5,011
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 5,007
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 5,012

david k.

Glad you guys enjoy seeing them, that would make my PawPaw really happy.

I'm 53 but remember him taking me with him as a little boy, of course I always would "find" an arrowhead or two every time I went.

To the best of my knowledge, these pieces all came from NE Arkansas, that's where he went mostly. He never had trouble getting permission to walk a field, probe or dig back in those days.

My dad's brother and sister have a bunch of similar pieces but my grandmother donated hundreds of pieces to a museum after my grand-dad died...I honestly think she may have just gotten tired of dusting them! HaHa!

fairchaser

Those are way cool. As many years as I have walked creeks and been in the woods I've never found a thing except an occasional shed. He must have really had an eye for it. Thanks for sharing.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Wow man, thank you for sharing.

I miss walking and looking for arrowheads.
Back 15 years ago I could walk just about any creek around this area but now you will get run off as soon as you get seen. :(
Can't blame people but it sucks.

Rjratliff1975

That's the most awesome collection I have ever seen. It's clear your grandfather was truly gifted at finding artifacts. That had to be so much fun out searching with him. He could have really taught someone a lot! I have always enjoyed looking for arrowheads, but have never had a good eye for them. Thanks for sharing those great pics!