My favorite 9 pointers

TboneD

Today is my beloved late son's 30th birthday and I've been wanting to share this hunt with y'all from probably 20 yrs ago or so.

It's on a piece of public where a buck was bedding in a strip of cedars left in an area recently logged, and since Justin was with me I'm as proud of this little buck as any, even with it's messed up rack. I'd recently found the buck's sign and bedding, knew where he'd be going at dusk, and had found a spot where we could ambush him late one afternoon when the wind was right.

I knew it wouldn't happen until late since it was after the rut, and knew there wasn't any sense in making a young boy sit still any longer than necessary. So anyhow, we made the hike in the long way to the little spot at the edge of the cutover and cedars where I'd already prepped for our chairs. The long approach was the smart way given the perfect wind for this ambush to work. With not five minutes of legal light left the buck appeared out of the cedars on the closest trail we were watching. The shadows were already so long and he was so close he actually startled me and
C21BCF73-5D36-4546-95A6-892768BE6117.jpeg
I startled him. So he turned and ran down the opening where they'd brought the logs through, only to make the same mistake as Lott's wife. He stopped at the bottom and turned back at me. If they don't wind you you never know, right? So one shot from the single shot Handi-rifle 270 my wife had got me and he was mine. Justin was so excited and I was so proud how he was so still and so quiet. I knew he'd make a good hunter and I was right. I could post a lot of pictures but here's his own 9 pointer. I even got to help him haul it out of the woods, a LONG way back on some public ground. We do so miss him.

8AF3D75A-946E-4045-B5E1-A224A30AB4F0.png

TboneD

Sorry for your loss. Beautiful deer and story.
Thanks brother. Took my wife to the PREDS game today, just doing stuff together we know Justin would want us to. Hope it dries out soon so you can get some tree work done. And matter of fact, if you can recommend someone around us here in Lebanon we're going to need at least a couple cut soon.

Best,
Dave

Latest posts