MUST try venison shank recipe

LanceS4803

I've been wanting to make this for a long time, and had big plans for my elk. But, no bones could come back to TN, so went with venison.
This was fairly easy to make, with the worst part, by far, cutting the shanks. What I would not have given for a band saw, instead of the butcher saw (very high quality one, at that).
My wife was really leery of the whole dinner, but one bite and she was all smiles. AMAZING

Osso Bucco recipe

TAFKAP

I love osso bucco, but I don't have a reliable way of cross-cutting the shanks.

All that to say, I quit hanging my deer by the tendon to butcher just so I could save the whole shanks intact. One of the most overlooked pieces of meat on a deer.

LanceS4803

I love osso bucco, but I don't have a reliable way of cross-cutting the shanks.
I have a handheld stainless butcher's saw. As Rinella said, you need to do it when they are frozen, which makes it fun. Had the son-in-law grab a pair of gloves and hold on tight!
But lordy what a workout. 4 shanks, each cut 3 times, works up a sweat. Wondering if a $99 bandsaw from Harbor Freight might be worth the cleanup afterwards.

Big Pop

Just got through cutting thru some cooked shoulder bones with an old hand meat saw i have to make some bone broth. There has to be an easier way!!

TAFKAP

I have a handheld stainless butcher's saw. As Rinella said, you need to do it when they are frozen, which makes it fun. Had the son-in-law grab a pair of gloves and hold on tight!
But lordy what a workout. 4 shanks, each cut 3 times, works up a sweat. Wondering if a $99 bandsaw from Harbor Freight might be worth the cleanup afterwards.

Honestly, a stainless roasting pan would be a better purchase & easier to clean. Lower shanks from a small deer barely fit in our 6L Dutch oven. Anything bigger gets browned in the roasting pan, then braised whole.

Omega

I was planning on making some, but just cooking the entire shank since it falls off the bone when done. Had planned it some time back but never got around to it, the recipe I have involves red wine as well, which I have to bum off the daughters so that is another hurdle :).

Not my pic
1673995212204.png

I finally got around to making a neck roast, which suffers the same issue with all the connective tissue, it came out great though, shredded it and made tacos with it, brought it to my shop and they loved it. Could not get over the fact that all the connective tissue just melted away, and expect the shanks to be just like that.

LanceS4803

Now you guys have me thinking: Why cut them up? The original osso bucco recipes were with beef shanks, which were much larger. In hindsight, I see no reason to not to a whole shank. 1 per person serving suggestion?
I still have one vacuumpack in the freezer, so maybe next year.

TAFKAP

Now you guys have me thinking: Why cut them up? The original osso bucco recipes were with beef shanks, which were much larger. In hindsight, I see no reason to not to a whole shank. 1 per person serving suggestion?

Yeah, I'm not sure the cross-cut is feasible for most Tennessee-sized deer. Whole shanks work great for us, plus you get the nice soft tendon cooking along with it. Just get a bigger roasting pan since bigger critters might not fit well in a typical Dutch oven.

TAFKAP

Here's how I did a batch last week.......

1) Season liberally with salt, black pepper, and garlic appx. one day ahead of time. I used the rear shanks of a small doe & checked to make sure they'd fit in the Dutch oven. They did.....barely

2) Preheat the Dutch oven (or roasting pan if your shanks are too big) on medium heat at the most. Add your oil....I used duck fat and some pork lard for mine. But bacon grease, butter, or olive oil will work if you don't have some animal fat of some type. Pat dry (important!!) and brown the meat on all sides that'll fit in the pan. I set the meat down for about 5 minutes a side to get a good browning, and rotated around.

3) Remove meat, add 1/2 of a sliced white or yellow onion & scrape the pan very well. A pinch of salt will release the moisture from the onions. Point of this is to deglaze some of the browned bits off the bottom. Once the onions caramelize a bit, add about 4 cloves of garlic thinly sliced. Pepper the crap out of it, add another pinch of salt, then stir in about a can of tomato paste.

4) Once the tomato paste combines with the onions and garlic into a sticky glob, turn the heat to high and add a quart of stock. It'll hiss and sizzle and bubble.....scrape the bottom of the pan clean and break up all the remaining browned bits and incorporate the tomato sauce glob. This is a good point to add about a cup or two of good red wine (I like a merlot or cabernet for this). Cook and simmer on medium heat for about 10 minutes, add a bay leaf or 3, and shove the shanks in. The liquid should come up to at least halfway up the meat, without covering it entirely.

5) Put a lid on the pot and stick it in a 225° oven for at least 6 hours.

I did mine overnight, and turned the oven off when I left for work. It cooled down during the day so that when we got home, we could pull the meat apart from the bones, shred it up a bit, and reheated the sauce & meat all together. It serves very nicely over whatever carbs you want.....smashed potatoes, or rice, or bowtie pasta, or a parmesan polenta.

It's delicious and will make you second guess ever throwing shanks in a grind pile again.

Buzzard Breath

I do mine pretty much exactly as TAFKAP except I substitute chicken broth for the wine. I don't like really rich sauces so I drink the wine while waiting the 6 hours for it to be done. :D

It also works well with boneless shanks. I probably kill as many deer out of state as in state and always bring back the boneless shanks for a meal.

JJ3

Yep I just use the whole shank cut off just below the knee. Too hard to cut it osso bucco style without the equipment. 2.5 - 3 hrs in a Dutch oven — perfect. Best part of the deer,

Latest posts