Venison shoulder and shank

Laserman1

Browned shoulder and shank on egg then placed in aluminum pan and cooked till meat fell off bone. Added vegs, back on grill till vegs are done. Got recipe from Deermeatfordinner YouTube channel.
71EB6AE9-5778-46F0-A470-87A8BF3857DF.jpeg

TAFKAP

Nice. I did some shanks in a Dutch oven last night and turned the oven off when we got up this morning. Gonna reheat it for dinner. My mouth is watering thinking all about it

TAFKAP

Simple salt, pepper, & garlic seasoning hours beforehand. Lots of each

Browned in the Dutch oven. With mine, I heat it over low for a while to preheat, then turn the temp up barely to med-low to brown. Longer browning time, but less scorching. Remove the meat. Sautee 1/2 sliced onion, 5 sliced garlic cloves, then stir around a can of tomato paste. Once it looks like the tomato paste will start to stick and scorch in the pan, deglaze with a cup of red wine (I prefer a Cabernet for this) and cook down about 5 mins. Put the meat back in the pan, add stock and mix all the stuff around. The liquid should come up about 3/4 of the way on the meat (not the whole bone) just the meat. Bring it all to a boil, cover, then put in a 225° oven.

I closed the oven door at 10:00 that night, and it went all night until Mrs. TAFKAP woke up at 0430. She turned the oven off and left it.

When I got home from work later that day, she had just shredded all the meat and started bringing the pot back to a boil. When it did, turn off all the heat, put the meat back in , and stir. We served it over garlic smashed potatoes. But rice, polenta, or even pasta would work great too.

Latest posts