Must have on a boat...

megalomaniac

@Spurhunter got me thinking...

I need to put together a kit for the boat with often replaced parts easy to exchange with minimal tools for a breakdown on the water or at the ramp to salvage a trip...

In addition to the typical boat stuff to be legal (life jackets, fire extinguisher, signaling devices, etc), as well as basic boating items such as anchor, ropes, etc.

Thinking... spare drain plug, extra trolling motor shaft pin, extra priming bulb, tools to access flywheel and pull rope to manually start, fuses... what else am I missing???

Pilchard

Spare prop/hub and a prop wrench.

Wrench that fits the nuts on your battery terminals. Can't tell you how many times I have swapped a trolling motor battery with a cranking battery to get my motor started. Many times deep in the back country where calling for help wasn't an option.

Side cutters to cut a hook that's been pushed through your skin.

I'm sure I'll think of others

megalomaniac

Spare prop/hub and a prop wrench.

Wrench that fits the nuts on your battery terminals. Can't tell you how many times I have swapped a trolling motor battery with a cranking battery to get my motor started. Many times deep in the back country where calling for help wasn't an option.

Side cutters to cut a hook that's been pushed through your skin.

I'm sure I'll think of others
Good thought... even if not taking an extra prop, at least an extra cotter pin for the prop... putting that on my list

Spurhunter

I try to not go overboard (pun intended) but the non-negotiable, absolute must haves for me are trolling motor pins, spare plug, fuses, screwdriver and wrench for trolling motor prop, wrench for battery terminals, electric tape, wire strippers, extra batteries for your i-pilot remote if you use one, and a multitool. Other possibilities: I've seen a multi-meter save a trip. An extra pair of sunglasses (someone WILL forget occasionally).

7mm08

-Extra batteries for every gadget on board
-Small bucket for bailing
-Extra snack food vacuum sealed… may have to spend a night out
-Space blanket
-BUG SPRAY
-SPOT LOCATOR or something similar. I'm out of cell range half the time.
- TOURNIQUET, A TOURNIQUET, did I mention a TOURNIQUET?

Occasionally empty it all your storage areas and refresh your memory where everything is.

Canyonfish

Portable handheld marine radio isn't necessary, but nice to have. Also zip ties, small roll of duct tape, basic tools. I always have had a couple extra spark plugs in case of fouling out, but these newer 2 stokes and 4 stokes never seem to foul out like decades earlier. Also, a couple of fenders (bumpers) to tie boat off on docks when getting gas, or parking your truck.

Last edited:

Bad habit

I always kept extra battery operated running lights in my Z-21. TWRA lives to write tickets for those when they are out. I believe my buddy told me it cost him $200.

I also had a game warden get mad because the fire extinguisher ( in a new to me old boat) worked so after that I kept an extra new one in the boat. That would have been a $200 ticket as well

megalomaniac

Good tips...

So, making a small dry box to store in the bilge area. Sunscreen, Bug spray, baby wipes, small crescent wrench, trolling motor pin, cotter pin for prop, nipper pliers for buried fish hook, multitool, zip ties, duct tape, extra battery for TM remote, fuses, flashlight, protein bars. Dont want to go overboard, but just a few things to save a trip.

This is in addition to my coast guard box which contains extra life jackets, type IV throwable float, fire extinguisher, and signal kit (whistle, smoke, and flare)