MS marsh getting right

megalomaniac

Interesting on the reds…… typically they DON'T move until they reach maturity at about 5 years which according to SCDNR is a 23-24" red. Then it's offshore for them until the fall.
I suspect some of the bigger reds are ones that have moved in following bait. This is my first year doing this, always hear about the great shrimp migration out of the marsh in October, but we sure haven't seen any significant amount of shrimp thus far this year.

7mm08

I suspect some of the bigger reds are ones that have moved in following bait. This is my first year doing this, always hear about the great shrimp migration out of the marsh in October, but we sure haven't seen any significant amount of shrimp thus far this year.
Brown to white….. white being the yearling shrimp

Omega

Avon "skin so soft". You can mail me a cigar as a thank you!
When stationed at Hunter Army Airfield in Savannah, GA, I reported my first day for PT, and started getting eaten alive by the gnats. Girl gave me some SSS, I looked at her kind of silly at first thinking I was being punked, but that stuffed worked great, kept spray bottles of it everywhere.

megalomaniac

white shrimp coming out of the marsh now where i fish. caught over hundred pounds of big shrimp last week with a 8 foot brill net
We prob saw 25 reds or so last trip 3d ago. All were feeding on young blue crabs or baitballs of tiny 1in minnows. Just haven't been able to find big schools of shrimp (and more importantly, the trout feeding on them!)

Pilchard

didnt work for me years ago. didnt work for mosquitoes either. can you still buy that stuff.
It won't work for mosquitos. It's an oil based product that only gets rid of the sand gnats.

I think they made it into a bug spray which I haven't tried. I always bought the regular one and just enjoyed smelling like ladies perfume on still summer mornings/evenings.

You can probably get it on amazon.

Pilchard

The real big ones are normally along the coast this time of year eating pogies. Especially after a cold front, the front pushes the bait outside the coast and the reds will be out there in the birds. Pre-front, fish just inside.

That said, I'd rather fish like you have been and sightfish smaller ones, 100% of the time.

Latest posts